arm warmers or base layer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

i was thinking about winter riding today and what I need to get..yes long way off i know...but would it be better to get a long sleeved compressional base layer, or a short sleeved base layer with arm warmers? the long sleeve base layer would kill two birds with one stone, but i can see the advantages of arm warmers too.

longers

Legendary Member
You'll need both and they'll both be as useful as the other - I wear arm warmers in spring, summer and autumn when there is the chance of taking them off. L/S in winter when there isn't much chance.

I don't know what a compressional base layer is? A tight one?
I've been very happy with the ALDI L/S which saw me through winter on dry days in lots of comfort.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What longers said. Arm warmers are an autumnal/chilly spring morning sort of thing, whereas the base layer is more wintery. A training jacket (I have the Foska "Bones") can be good on *really* cold days.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
On the coldest winter days I wear my dHb bibs and my Polaris Silicon top. Plenty warm enough and I'm sweating and steaming hot all the way. No need for a base layer - I think we Scots are a hardy breed :blush:

Mind you, I was thinking arm-warmers for the chiller autumn and spring mornings so that I can avoid having to bring a s/s top for the ride home when it's no longer too nippy. Have we got any CC arm-warmers yet ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Goo, Prendas' meraklon ones are pretty good - I normally whack a pair in my jersey pocket on a "just in case" basis most days.

gavintc

Guru
IMO, you need a couple of long sleeved base layers - Helly Hansen or similar and arms warmers. I mix and match the kit dependant on conditions. I will put my arm warmers on, even on a cool summer day. I find them to be part of the 'essential' element of my wardrobe. The base layer goes on beneath a thin jersey in spring and autumn and under a winter jacket in the winter.

Maz

Guru
When it's really cold, I wear a long sleeved base layer made by De Marchi. It's fantastic. It has a sort of honeycomb front panel which is great at wicking away sweat.

yello

The thing I like about arm warmers is I can take them off. Long sleeves don't offer that, unless you take a pair of scissors with you!

As a rule, I prefer short sleeves. So if it's a long ride and I'm starting early when it's a bit nippy then I'll wear arm warmers. If it looks to be cold all day then long sleeves or a jacket is called for. Btw, my base layers are all short sleeve or vest types - a long sleeve base would be uncomfortable for me, I'd feel over dressed.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
It's a good time to stock up on winter gear as all the shops have a full range of sizes in stock.

Top Bottom