Armstrong coming back for the 2009 TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Loved the response from O'Grady when asked what he thought of armstrong coming back, 'Bring it on'. I think there will be quite a few people who will want to take a chunk out of the texan and will be more than capable of doing it. Something to tell the grandkids I beat armstrong.

Tetedelacourse

Chuffstick I meant Stapleton's team, got Garmin and Columbia mixed up - my bad!

Can I ask why people think this will be bad for the sport? I can't honestly see why.

Scenario 1: he doesn't start. Nothing changes in the sport.

Scenario 2: he starts but gets beaten / pulls out. A legend (like it or not) falls. Great headlines, and all Uncle Lance's detractors are warmed by seeing him fall.

Scenario 3: He wins. An incredible comeback (like it or not) after 2 years out of the pro peloton, we get to test the merd out of him for PEDs and the rest of the pros get a "must do better" report!

Scenario 4: He tests +ve. Most of you lot are euphoric. (I wouldn't put my mortgage on this scenario coming to pass).

Lastly, the tour IS a circus regardless, it's undeniable.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have been pondering on this for some time (at least 6 minutes :biggrin:) and have come to the following conclusions : Since he has won 7 tours, and has never been caught doping

He either ..
a) has ridden clean, and therefore has no fear of being caught if he rides in 2009 or..
B) has a new, undetectable doping system, and therefore has no fear of being caught if he rides in 2009.

Because if he rides the tour, and gets caught doping then everything he has ever achieved will be tarnished - so he must be pretty damned sure that he will not be caught. Armstrong does not take risks !

Just my opinion :smile:

Andrew

Tetedelacourse

agreed Andrew.

mondobongo

Über Member
It is a very good article and too be honest not the response I was expecting from the Comic, was expecting them to come out pro armstrong.

Sums up well with that last sentence.
And then, the circus will crank into over-drive. Do us a favour, Lance, you don't need cycling and cycling doesn't need you. Leave the sport to get on with things and get on with your life.

Yup, read the article and he's 100% right.

The people who support Lance (as opposed to cycling fans per se) are the same people who will pick Man Utd as their football team of choice. They're not fans of the sport, they just want to be associated with winners. Sadly it seems there are many in the world of pro-cycling who are prepared to roll over and show their belly to the old dog, yet again. It's alpha-wolf syndrome isn't it? If Contador is already saying that Lance can win and beat him, then he is a gutless coward and deserves no respect. I hope that there are more like O'Grady who will be queuing up to show Lance that it's over and that he should have stayed away.

It's 'car crash' cycling at it's best ....... and don't even hint at me being a Man U. supporter :ohmy:

So cycling has got it's house in order eh! A new regime, new approach, out with the old.

Lance back and their all diving for cover and queing up to kow tow. It has forever been thus has it not, stop trying to fool yourselves. Only the strong win.

That said, I can't quite believe he'll be up to it at nearly 37. If he's attacked relentlessly, he won't have the recovery anymore. You could see the last few tours he won, he won on strength of personality as much as anything. The explosive power had gone. It'll be a spectacle though.

Tetedelacourse

What a load of old horse sh1t that article was.

About Basso and Ulrich: How believable were those athletes? Did Armstrong believe in them?

Did you all disagree with Armstrong at the time?

The 1999 tests yadda yadda yadda. He got away with it. Do any of you think he'd get away with it in 2009?

The fact Armstrong beat so many dopers does not prove he doped. But neither does it prove anything about 1999 to 2005 if Armstrong comes back and wins in 2009 while part of the UCI's biological passport scheme.

So he'd only be competing to dispute those test findings? Bollox. Why would cycling suffer because of this if it was his reason for returning anyway?

It is typical of Armstrong that he assumes all he need do to march back into the Tour de France is give an interview to Vanity Fair stating it is his intention.

Ha ha! Risible! Five paragraphs above the writer states that Armstrong has signed up to USADA and can apply to UCI in February! Come off it, the author sounds like a soapboxer.

The sport has changed so much in the three-and-a-bit years since Armstrong quit. A root-and-branch overhaul is in process. It is proving slow, difficult work, but there is progress. Armstrong's return will turn the clock back. Do we want that?

Highly debatable. And if he returns, will there be carte blanche to take what you like. Do any of you really think that?

He then states that Armstrong's victories were "charmless, bullying and smug" and that it's been more exciting since he retired. Well we on CC can't agree on that but you'd hardly describe his wins as dull. And anyway the challenge is to win, not to entertain FFS.

The tour is always a circus, a freak show, and if you don't like that then you're a fan of the wrong sport.

Top Bottom