Armstrong Releases Test Results

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy said:
Oh and this testing stuff with Catlin. Wasn't the baseline meant to have been established well before he started racing again or did I miss something?
I don't think any commitment was made to a pre-competition baseline (the press conference at Interbike does seem like ages ago). I do worry that stuff like this though (i.e. the questioning of whether a testing program that only takes place in competition is as transparent as everyone claims) and Greg LeMond's questions over the methodology) just seem to be ignored.

Anyway, before the thread melts, a lovely cat wot likes bikes (from Urban Velo http://urbanvelo.org/i-can-has-bicycle/ );

Now the next question is why anyone considers Tom Simpson could ever be considered as a good rider.

Surely we should be condemning has abuse of drugs and blatant cheating and not extolling his virtues?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cunobelin said:
Now the next question is why anyone considers Tom Simpson could ever be considered as a good rider.

Surely we should be condemning has abuse of drugs and blatant cheating and not extolling his virtues?

I do. Just as I condemn Ullrich, Indurain, Riis, Zulle, Basso, Pantani, Anquetil.......ad infinitum.

These are the very people that have brought cycling to where it is today by treating drug use as a trivial offence and expecting a slap on the wrist and a £50 fine as punishment.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
What was your point?

I think the point was he'll keep picking out names until we go "well, he's okay because..."

So far he has picked Indurain and Simpson. Next? I'm betting on David Millar...who is now okay in my book but he was a cheat - see I can be open to cyclists who change.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
We could be here for a while then! :biggrin:

What about Hamilton? You must have some sympathy with him? C'mon how heartless are you?

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm not sure I'd make the case, but I have heard it said that the cheat in the rEPO/blood doping era is far more of a threat to the clean rider than the charger of the Simpson era ever was. (I think one of the riders in the Walsh book Chuffy lent me makes the point). The performance and endurance gain is so great.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
John the Monkey said:
I'm not sure I'd make the case, but I have heard it said that the cheat in the rEPO/blood doping era is far more of a threat to the clean rider than the charger of the Simpson era ever was. (I think one of the riders in the Walsh book Chuffy lent me makes the point). The performance and endurance gain is so great.

I'm sure that's true. If you read the Pantani book then what stands out is how he could go from rock bottom to challenging in a tour or race within a few weeks.

Top Bottom