Around the world by Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougster

Good luck

Percy

I like the way you've integrated the photos into the text, with the option to click if you want. Nice to see maps of your routes too - not enough people use decent maps on websites! Would be nice to see a map of the whole ride at the beginning of the article (I've just been reading Syria+Jordan) as well as the sections though, to get some perspective.

Anyway - you didn't even ask for feedback! Sorry.

Do you ever feel like you don't see enough of the places, doing so many miles each day? I did almost exactly the same route through Greece last year (Igoumenitsa to Alexandroupolis via all the same places - I went north at the border to Erdine and then up to Bulgaria) and took about four times as long! I'd feel like I was just cycling all the time and not absorbing much culture/life. Not a criticism, just interested..! xx(

OP
OP
D

dpiper

Thanks for the feedback - always very welcome.
Yes, I'm always short of time and to dawdle around the world would be lovely but take forever. I usually cram everything in even though I usually spend 10 hours in the saddle most days - starting at silly o'clock in the morning is the key. I suppose one of the joys of travelling by bike is that you are absorbing the culture, people and sights as you roll along.

Northern Greece is great isnt it. I couldnt believe there were not more cyclists there.

Percy

dpiper said:
Northern Greece is great isnt it. I couldnt believe there were not more cyclists there.

Yeah, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Greece actually. I think I only saw one other cyclist there - pushing his way up the Katara pass with a load-less road bike. I'd just topped out with a full load so felt pretty good about that!

I was there in August and it was proper hot. The guy who owned the place I stayed in in Metsovo said they saw a few cyclists but he'd never seen one in August before! Nice and cool up in the hills, mind.

OP
OP
D

dpiper

Yes my trip to Greece was in June - nice and cool up at Katara pass though.

I've updated now with a 'summary map' for Syria as you suggested and as I've tried to do on previous trips. I might even do a whole trip summary map although the globe map on the home page sort of does that.

I'm just itching to get out and ride another stage now - have to look into possibility of riding south of Jordan into Saudi and over to Dubai. Any ideas?

jay clock

Massive member
Excelllent and very impressive - I like the way you allow the pics to be so well integrated. You really stack up the miles don't you?!

dodgy

Not sure about that URL ;)
Good luck.

wlc1

Awesome.

Great reading.

My son ( who is 1 today) has cerebal palsy and I am thinking about LEJOG next year to raise some charity money. Then cycle France in the same year .

It's posts like yours who make me want to do it. Thank you

OP
OP
D

dpiper

Most of the maps come from the Autoroute programe, the rest are just Auto-Reisen or Michelin paper maps scanned in (hope there's no copyright issues).

Good luck on that charity ride - raising the money will be the hard part

Top Bottom