Ireland by bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Here is a tip, don't bother unless you can guarantee good weather. Thats 3 we have met that decided that a train home is the best option. Week ends are a pain , campings booked up and if the weather turns good luck finding accommodation under 130 euro. Finding that its glamping and campervan where the money is and as a result fewer tent campings. Yesterday a cyclist left the camping only to return , weather was bad and decided that it was impossible to hit the next camping and another turned up at 1 pm as he had enough. Was getting fed up not seeing the views hedges everywhere in places. The Irish cyclists posting on the velo 1 web site are saying its been pushed through to boost tourism. Another downside is that drivers are also taking the velo 1 route sectionsas opposed to the Wild Atlantic Way as an alternative judging by the number plates.. Need more small campsites and places to stop ( dont think the the irish are into picnic sites) pub culture is fine but if out in the sticks a place to stop is good if its rain or a big wind. Not surprised that its taken 40 years to come back to Ireland , and thats only because the ferry from Spain looked like a good way to cycle home..Done about 1500 km and only 100 km of cycleway out of the 2 big cities.

( dont think the the irish are into picnic sites)

I suspect there is a reason for that ...

classic33

Leg End Member
Here is a tip, don't bother unless you can guarantee good weather. Thats 3 we have met that decided that a train home is the best option. Week ends are a pain , campings booked up and if the weather turns good luck finding accommodation under 130 euro. Finding that its glamping and campervan where the money is and as a result fewer tent campings. Yesterday a cyclist left the camping only to return , weather was bad and decided that it was impossible to hit the next camping and another turned up at 1 pm as he had enough. Was getting fed up not seeing the views hedges everywhere in places. The Irish cyclists posting on the velo 1 web site are saying its been pushed through to boost tourism. Another downside is that drivers are also taking the velo 1 route sectionsas opposed to the Wild Atlantic Way as an alternative judging by the number plates.. Need more small campsites and places to stop ( dont think the the irish are into picnic sites) pub culture is fine but if out in the sticks a place to stop is good if its rain or a big wind. Not surprised that its taken 40 years to come back to Ireland , and thats only because the ferry from Spain looked like a good way to cycle home..Done about 1500 km and only 100 km of cycleway out of the 2 big cities.
My cousin and his family found out similar years ago. First time on bikes, doing a trip he'd done many times in a car with no problems. "It's only that far far on the map!" Cycling to a timetable, when the heavens opened. Nearly six inches of rain in a little over half an hour. Timetable thrown away, five brand new bikes thrown into the ditch.
Picnic spots are often marked "viewing points", on signs as well as some maps, but's what's wrong with just pulling in at the side of the road. If you have everything, or stopping near where you bought something to eat?

Having looked, the Velo 1 route takes in the Wild Atlantic Way, not the other way round.

Even the Irish Tourist Board used to say you can expect it to be wet, but at least the rain would be warmer in summer months.

Emanresu

I had great weather last May. And I even tried 'glamping'. Accomodation, as you said, is expensive. Trains will take bikes.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/2023-mizmal-in-ireland.289408/

JLNX8715.JPG

I did the WAW in late summer of 2019. I could have done it in a month, but I took my time. I actually went all the way to Giant's Causeway because I have the time. I took the bus back to Dublin from Letterkenney. It wasn't too difficult, except of course that it rained almost every day. I got used to the rain. I agree about camping sites. Not too many and wild camping is a big no-no. I ended up combining camp sites with bnb and the occasional hotel for my break days. Stayed with some friends at one point for about a week. Fully self-supported...Dawes Karakum with a custom mountain bike cassette to give me better climbing gears. I might do it again someday.

Top Bottom