Arrrggghhhh ... what's happened to the 'art' of selling? Contains Ranting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3917549, member: 45"]
Dacia13003.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind a Renualt 12 if I'm honest. Back in the days when French cars really had a magic carpet ride and quirky design features :smile:

Update:
Had a very apologetic voicemail left this morning containing the basic information I wanted. I've been in my customers all day so far so not got to follow-up yet. Stay posted ....
Let the nobber stew for a day or two.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
in my experiences car (& motorcycle) showrooms tend to have a very odd way of selling. Examples - going in to enquire about brand new mc - sucking of teeth, "they're like gold dust those" - for a fairly modest mid-size runabout ? yeah right. Trying to buy (brand new) van "what's your best price for Astra diesel" mor sucking of teeth, then "tell me how much you can afford a month and I'll tell you which one you can have" . Bought elsewhere where after a brief play with his calculator (for appearances sake probably ) quoted me 10% off list and I said yes. Not hard is it? A diesel van ffs - not a scruffy youngster asking to sit in the ferrari

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Seems like this is just part of the sales method they use -a bit surprizing you even got a call with details. They just want you to go down to see them so they can wear you down. And with apologies to any decent ones (are there any? :smile:) car sales people rank up there with estate agents and insurance companies to deal with in my experience when it comes to being forthright and honest.

I would love to go online and buy a car, and cut out the entire bull winkle involved with the selling "process" -alas here in the States there are many states who have laws that say new cars can only be sold via dealerships. The reason? Well supposedly because when you buy such a big ticket item, the dealership will protect you in case something goes wrong (a downright derisive and laughable excuse!). It's more like they have the lobbyists. Believe it or not, in the home of capitalism, you can't buy Tesla cars in many states for this reason, nor can Tesla sell them in these states.....

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
That's good to hear, what did you get or are you still looking?

Big chunky duster in khaki.
One of the best cars I've driven, the Diesel engine is a pleasure, and I can fit two bikes in the back with the seats down.
Pure lushness.:wub:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 3916614, member: 45"]Dacia have restored my faith in the "car model dictates how the driver is going to behave" theory, after one driven by a doddery old man slewed across three lanes of the M5 less than 4 feet in front of me last week.

You got a test drive then FF?[/QUOTE]

Me and Lady FF had a test drive last Saturday in a 1.5 diesel
What can I say? Well .... it looks fine from the outside and apart from cheapo door handles feels quite solid in terms of metal-work, the boot is enormous for the money and it's complete with roof bars too for bicycle carrying.
The inside is suitably basic but not unpleasant, seats simple and comfortable with sufficient rear legroom. The engine is a known quantity as I've driven plenty in Clio's, Captur's and Quashqais and whilst it's a little grumbly on start-up it's no big deal. The Logan is pretty light weight as a result of its spartan construction and the 1.5 diesel feels pretty sprightly, more so than in other cars. The gearbox works well enough. Overall the sensation is of a simple light easy car to drive, you get in it and everything does kinda what it should without fuss. Body roll is not too bad, the rear is a little bouncy and the front a tad light, it's certainly is not going to be a car to hustle along country roads at a lick, but I don't need it too .... ploughing the motorways is its function. I suspect fully loaded could be a bit of a hand-full, but ces't la vie .... you can't have everything and I should learn to slow down a bit anyhow. Lady FF found it really easy to get in and go too and was happy in the back as well.

If they can land me a Laureate Prime spec (Rare as hen's teeth it seems) at 11.5k it's a bloody bargain. I love simple basic utilitarian, cheap transport and with a 3 year warranty as well, this'll do me.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I heard a car dealer near me might be hiring so I phoned up and got an interview. When I turned up there was the manager and the area manager who gave me one of my more " interesting" interviews. By the end we were basically just insulting each other politely. To start with, the salary was £16k falling to £8k after a month (at this point I knew I wasn't interested in the slightest but stayed for fun). I would be expected to sell a minimum of ten cars a week but more importantly, sign up the majority of sales to a high interest finance package, "superior" valet scheme, advanced warranty etc etc. If I sold on a lower interest scheme (there were 5 on a sliding scale) then I would only be credited with a percentage of the sale, ie if I sold them all on the lowest interest rate, I'd need to sell fifteen cars instead of ten.

The point where I just started taking the proverbial out of them was when I asked the standard "Why is there a vacancy" question. " Oh there isn't" said the manager, " but if I think you'll be better than whoever in my current team is bottom of the sales league this month, you're hired to replace him"

Awful company (rhymes with Harold Quark) and a Renault dealership.

Top Bottom