Arthritic knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MummaB

Please can someone advise me - I haven’t ridden for years but just purchased a second hand bike. I have arthritis in my knees, the right being worse. I cannot bend my knee backwards to the correct angle and my foot slips off the pedal. To compensate I use my heel, so my foot is not properly on the pedal. Is there sometime can buy to lengthen the pedal? I went to Halfords and they suggested a foot clip but that doesn’t help as I cannot bring my foot far enough backwards, if that makes sense 🥴 any suggestions or advice please? 🤔

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
How about trying the shortest cranks possible? You might need to lower your gear ratios by using smaller chainwheels or a cassette with larger sprockets but it might be enough to do the trick. A picture of the transmission setup would be helpful.

Sharky

Guru
May I suggest purchasing a basic (non smart) turbo trainer, on which you can bolt your own bike onto it. Then you can spend time getting the pedalling action better without any risks of mishaps on the open road.

This is what I have done following various broken bones. It really helps to get the legs going again.

There maybe fellow chatters on here who have upgraded to more expensive smart trainers and may have surplus dumb trainers for sale.

Last edited:
Please can someone advise me - I haven’t ridden for years but just purchased a second hand bike. I have arthritis in my knees, the right being worse. I cannot bend my knee backwards to the correct angle and my foot slips off the pedal. To compensate I use my heel, so my foot is not properly on the pedal. Is there sometime can buy to lengthen the pedal? I went to Halfords and they suggested a foot clip but that doesn’t help as I cannot bring my foot far enough backwards, if that makes sense 🥴 any suggestions or advice please? 🤔

You are likely to benefit greatly from shorter cranks. How tall are you? Most women in this country are using cranks that are too long for them, according to many experts - even if the frame and all other parts of the bike fit well. I hadn't ridden for years, either, when I bought a bike last summer. I am over 70 with arthritis quite badly in one knee; cycling has done it a world of good but you must get the set-up both comfortable and safe.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Could I just pop in to say how @Sharky is spot on with his advice. Mrs Tenkaykev had a knee replacement many years ago and has restricted mobility. We put her road bike on a Turbo trainer and it’s been a great way to build up flexibility and confidence after a period off the bike.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I suffer from dodgy knees, though not as bad. I found the MTB flat pedals with the 'spikes' in conjunction with a deeply treaded shoe were a revelation. They gripped really well, even on rough ground, and I am able to alter the angle of my foot on the pedal to alleviate knee pain. There is a greater range of positioning than if you use cleats.
I concur with the above with regards to practicing in a safe environment, especially the dismount.

Top Bottom