Article- Conquering the Cent Cols Challenge in the Pyrenees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Anyone else see this article in The Guardian?

I didn't know much about the challenge so it was interesting to me. Some history, some nice pictures, and some quotes from participants.

I've done a fair few of the Alpes' and Pyrenees' climbs but never strung any together, apart from Telegraph-Galibier. One mountain has always felt like enough for me, then time to breeze back down and go and have a rest.

I guess this has been discussed before here probably. Anyone had a go/ thinking of having a go? Why and how?

I'd also be very interested to hear about any rides people have done that have included several mountains along the way, and how that went.

"From despair to defiance"

"“No trip has come close to what you do on the Cent Cols,” Tim says. “By day three, you have pretty much ridden what you might ride in any typical bike trip. But it is the kind of riding, and the people that are riding with you, that make it so special. Everyone is taking on something much bigger than themselves.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...enge-in-the-pyrenees-from-despair-to-defiance

frank9755

Cyclist
Yes, I saw it and thought it was interesting. I'd heard of it before but never given it serious thought, but I might now...
The key to any long cycling event, especially one with lots of hills, is pacing (as well as nutrition). Try to do it too fast and it will be really tough. But do it slowly enough and it will be manageable. The hard bit is knowing what the right speed is: most people will go off too quick and suffer as a result!

Last edited:
Top Bottom