Article in today's Guardian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
oldredeyes said:
From the viewpoint of a cyclist who was hit by a car.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/28/1

The cyclist describes how he parks in front of the other traffic, but doesn't say whether there was an ASL. This accident does demonstrate how being too far ahead at junctions can be dangerous.

catwoman

I regularly see cyclists stopped far too ahead of a pedestrian crossing at junctions, usually crossroads never mind any ASL's that may be there. I often think that if a car comes through out of control they will be toast.
I saw an accident once where some idiot crashed at high speed and he ended up smashed into some barriers by a pedestrian crossing.
Thankfully there wasn't anyone on foot or bike in the way but ever since that time I have always been happy to wait in my allotted space at junctions and not go too far ahead.
Bozza has recently announced that London streets will be de-cluttered of what is considered to be unneccessary street furniture. I believe the plan involve the removal of crash barriers and the pedestrian "pig pens" in the middle of roads and the dropping of kerbs. The theory behind this is that the removal of restrictions will slow traffic down and reduce accidents.
While I can see the merit in the removal of some I do worry that the removal of crash barriers at some junctions will lead to an increase in accidents like the one described in the article.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Sounds a nasty incident, but the tale seems, from the way I read it a bit tarted up for effect. Either that or the editor has had a go at it.

"There was just silence and stillness at first, then smoke was billowing around me and I smelt acrid fumes. Was the car on fire? Now the cry had some real purpose: "HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!" Later I was told that it wasn't burning petrol as I imagined, just the gasses expelled by the driver's airbag as it automatically inflated".

From the two times I have been knocked off my bike I eas still trying to work out if my body was still working, ie, try to move ankles, then legs etc. and which parts are hurting.

Tynan

Veteran
as a seasoned laying down in the road merchant, checking that things still all work comes some way after feeling numb and absent

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think the guy is attempting to get across the shock of the incident and the emotions that go with it but yeah, definitely trying too hard. I guess its either going to come out like this or read like a police report unless you're a top journo.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Tynan said:
as a seasoned laying down in the road merchant, checking that things still all work comes some way after feeling numb and absent
I know what you mean. My one and only bonnet surfing episode put me nicely into shock. It felt like waking up from a bad dream and not remembering where you are - horrible.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
That's why I don't buy the Guardian, yeah I'm sorry he was hit by a car but did he have to write the most boring, melodramtic, piece of shoot article I have ever read.

It was rather. We shall have to wait until Max Seaton is hit by a car.

gavintc

Guru
Christ, what a callous, unsympsthetic bunch of bastards. I had presumed from a cycling forum there might be sympathy, understanding at least. But no, just a whine about bad positioning, bad journalism, melodramatic reporting. Get a life you lot. Personally, I think it cold happen to any of us, show some respect.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm with you -I know the author didn't end up getting seriously injured, but still.... Being hit by a vehicle can happen to any of us, *even* when we're in a "good" road position.

gavintc said:
Christ, what a callous, unsympsthetic bunch of bastards. I had presumed from a cycling forum there might be sympathy, understanding at least. But no, just a whine about bad positioning, bad journalism, melodramatic reporting. Get a life you lot. Personally, I think it cold happen to any of us, show some respect.

Top Bottom