As a commuter is CTC worth joining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iacula

I was considering joining CTC, But I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. Currently commuting 40 miles a week two days building to 60 Miles a week on three days. What are the benefits?

Maz

Guru
Insurance cover was my main reason for joining.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
1) Third Party Insurance
2) Legal Advice & Accident Helpline
3) Campaigns for your right to use the road, for a highway code and legislation that reflects and reinforces that right, for true multimodal travel etc
4) Pretty decent magazine every two months.
5) Discounts at their own shop (online) and at many other shops (I got 10% off list on my SCR2 from my LBS by virtue of the CTC membership).

Have a look at their website at member benefits, and at the things they do.

I joined recently for the insurance. Depends how much of the Cycling scene you want to be a part. The magazine and news emails are not bad, but I don't have any great need to go to Birthday rides or rallies.

I like the idea of the access to the holidays though, if cycle touring is your thing that might be an incentive.

Plus you get a discount in the CTC shop and other shops around the country.

BTW I'm a commuter too, although I have toured and raced in the past.

Pecan

The insurance was my main reason for joining as well, a couple of years ago. Plus I wanted to help swell the numbers of a cycling organisation that was doing campaigning, and they seemed to fit the bill. Those are my reasons for renewing each year as well. As a commuting cyclist rather than tourer, I don't find their magazine particularly relevant to me, although it has the odd interesting article. Website is ok, but I find myself checking it out less often these days.

Definitely worth joining. My main reasons are the insurance, the legal advice and the magazine. Also from a campaigning point of view it helps to say you are a member.

Out of interest (and slightly OT) but is anyone on here a CTC accredited campaigner?

Wolf04

BentMikey said:
+1

Join them, they are one of the main organisations keeping the wolf from the doors of cyclists.
They do a good job keeping me from the cyclists door too! Seriously though I agree with all of the reasons given in favour of membership.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yes. I joined for the personal injury and third party cover and a year later they're doing/done a top job getting some compo from my accident last year.

On a less selfish note, they generally do a good job of cycling advocacy and the magazine is a good toilet read. There's no compulsion to be active in the sense of club rides and social events.

I think there's still a rump of bearded, 'steel is real' tourists of a certain age that occupy some of the regional groups, but I they seem to be on the wane as more commuter/utility cycles join. You can find them on the CTC forum, which is a little staid for my tastes.

postman

Legendary Member
Yes i had our entire works team on it for 10 years.We did charity bike rides a great weight off my mind.And we were allowed to insure non team members for the rides .Now the family are all in aswell.Join .

Top Bottom