As a commuter is CTC worth joining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Like almost everyone here my reason for joining in the first place was for the insurance however their campaign speil appealed more to me than say Sustrans, who incidentally I think do a wonderful job for the type of cyclists they represent.

I do agree that their DA's can seem a little mid last century. The Northern Ireland ctc website is the most unappealing advert for cycling that I have seen. They even have a little bit about some of their runs only being open to those with mudguards as this reflects the nature of the event. Bog off I don't have mudguards so why should I get them just to along on a ride. So backward looking. The membership of CTC is much more than touring cyclists.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
User1314 said:
1: Ok. I have 3rd Party Insurance. But come on - what is the likelihood of me actually being sued for thousands of pounds of damage?

If I don't renew, what exactly will I lose?

Kinda depends what you hit and how?

Ignoring personal injury, which can be a small fortune, imagine losing it and hitting a couple of door panels...

End of the day, insurance is just a gamble. If you like the odds, don't bother. As an all round package, I'll be renewing for £3 a month.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ben Lovejoy said:
Almost everyone does anyway, though: it's a standard component of household contents cover.

Are you 100% sure of that?

Last time I remortgaged etc. I specifically asked about it and no one would give a definite 100% response. Having worked in insurance claims (for a very short period) and seeing how Insurance Companies try to read the same paragraph differently for different customers*, I’d prefer the peace of mind.

Besides, I take out insurance/breakdown cover for the car, which, even with full NCD is 10 times this with no ‘community’/magazine type aspects

(*Have a look at ‘matching items cover’ and how that differs in calculation from one insurer to another!)

Top Bottom