As a commuter is CTC worth joining?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
fossyant said:
Am I the only BCF Member then ?
This lot? No!!!

Mac66

Going with the rest. Joined primarily for TP insurance, rather than the social scene. Also, any organisation which promotes the rights of cyclists is no bad thing in my book and if my subs help then so much the better.

xroads

I joined CTC for the insurance. Glad I did too, as their Personal Injury lawyers got me over £1300 quid for a not-at-fault claim against a driver with no insurance. Took 5 months, and was a pretty stress free claim.

OP
OP
iacula

iacula

Wow! Thanks for all the advice, and it's pretty inequivocal. So I'll join.

£35 sounds a lot, but CTC does seem to offer a unique service, probably won't take much interest in the Mag, but it's good to support someone campaigning for us.

It was annoying yesterday on the radio hearing the AA supporting the local school run like it was a national asset!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm surprised so many cite TP insurance cover and legal assistance as their reasons for joining.

Almost all home contents insurance includes third-party liability insurance valid outside the home (including cycling), and AFAICS the legal cover offered is identical to that offered by the same lawyers to Joe Public except that CTC members phone a chargeable number and JP calls an 0800 number.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
fossyant said:
Am I the only BCF Member then ?

Bollo said:

I think he means this lot;)

CotterPin

Yep - another thumbs up for the CTC. And I would suggest the campaigning is a major part of its appeal. It can act as a counter to the motoring lobbyists such as the AA although it doesn't (yet?) have the same clout. Also I believe they campaign locally. That's always useful to know when you find the council have installed their latest cyclist farcility. Not sure how comprehensive their local campaigning is but I am sure they are always on the lookout for new people to help.

Apart from the insurance, and the fact that there is/was an opportunity to get 5 years membership for the price of 4, I needed to get some stuff in Cycle Surgery the other day and got a discount after I showed the card:thumbsup:. Probably works elsewhere?

Interesting. CTC membership has increased significantly in recent years, which I've seen used to suggest that interest in cycling and the aims of cycling campaigners is on the increase. On the evidence of reasons given here (and similar posts I've read before), I would suggest the main reason for the increase is not interest in cycling per se, but rather is people looking to cover themselves with insurance. Given the 'Americanisation' of sections of the legal system in this country and the litigious / compensation climate being fostered in tv and radio advertising, it isn't hard to see why.

But this does distort the picture. More members of CTC does not simplly equate to more cycling going on or more people who want to support cycle campaigning.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
British Cycling (BCF) Silver membership is £35 and is the same as CTC.

You don't need the Gold unless you intend to Road Race which includes a full license !

Brains

Legendary Member
Regular commuter here:

I joined the CTC a number of years ago due the discount given for the EBE. One trip paid back the cost

Kept it ever since for all the reasons laid out above (and in case i do another EBE trip)

Top Bottom