As of today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
I've been in a few lbs that I'd never step foot in again.
My local Halfords is friendly and they are very competitive on prices. And often have 10% off all items and then give you a further 10% for BC membership

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've no idea what you mean by that.
I'll expand. No modern LBS will survive by competing on Halford's terms, selling a limited range of generally low end, lower margin products at close to the RRP while providing middling customer service at best. If a 10% Halfords discount is enough to kill off a LBS, then that LBS is likely already on life-support. They're businesses, not charities.

The LBSs that will survive are the ones that can offer something unique, build a word-of-mouth reputation within a well-defined customer base, compete on price with an online presence or expand their services beyond flogging bikes, bits and fixes.

Clear now?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've been in a few lbs that I'd never step foot in again.
My local Halfords is friendly and they are very competitive on prices. And often have 10% off all items and then give you a further 10% for BC membership
And there's an lbs in town I avoid unless I can't find something anywhere else, but the other three are fine, while the local Halfords is pretty poor except for one mechanic - last week, a guy who works around the corner was telling me that Halfords gave him his "serviced" bike back with the brake QRs open :eek: ... but that's beside the point. Halfords shows no solidarity with cyclists amd there's a complete lack of consistency across stores which shows they don't really care about cycling.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll expand. No modern LBS will survive by competing on Halford's terms, selling a limited range of generally low end, lower margin products at close to the RRP while providing middling customer service at best. If a 10% Halfords discount is enough to kill off a LBS, then that LBS is likely already on life-support. They're businesses, not charities.
Yes, but you've misunderstood. The problem isn't the discount, as LBSes generally sell like-for-like cheaper than Halfords already except for the loss-leaders like inner tubes. The problem is the massive promotion of 'frauds to members. It's irresponsible and against the members' interests, which would be to have at least one good LBS stocking good parts and staffed by knowledgeable workers in every mid-sized town.

broady

Veteran
I wouldn't use Halfords for any maintenance at all, but I am happy to do all that myself. So just parts needed and a friendly member of staff to serve me

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yes, but you've misunderstood.
Not so much misunderstood, as this didn't give me much to work with...
Cycling UK joins in the attack on local bike shops :sad:

The problem isn't the discount, as LBSes generally sell like-for-like cheaper than Halfords already except for the loss-leaders like inner tubes. The problem is the massive promotion of 'frauds to members. It's irresponsible and against the members' interests,
Really? You'd expect the average CUK member to be an informed consumer at least. If they're using Halfords as their go-to cycle shop, then they're either blessed with a uniquely competent store manager or unaware that other better options exist, irrespective of CUK's promotion of Halfords.
which would be to have at least one good LBS stocking good parts and staffed by knowledgeable workers in every mid-sized town.
That's wishful thinking. Good LBSs should be celebrated and supported, but they're not especially common.

I live in a city (ok, a small city) that has three independent bike shops. One is 'ok' and I'll use them for wheel truing at a push, but the other two have upset either me or people I know to the point where I'd rather travel 20-odd miles to the nearest word-of-mouth shop or have a go myself.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Not knocking it.... any discount is good... but from the email I've got it appears to be only for cycles and cycle related kit at in store prices.

On the face of it not as good as the British Cycling version which applies to all Halfords stock including stuff on sale.

Now whether or not those lovely people in store realise this distinction is another matter entirely....

Don't forget that Halfords will also apply the BC discount to price matched stuff, as well as sale prices.

Top Bottom