as yore inglis himprovad sinse poasting in sycal spat an othar forams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been having a chuckle lately at the standard of written English on a local Facebook page I look at and sometimes post on. This thread title could've been copied off there, such is many posters poor standard of written English. I sometimes have to spend quite a while translating the posts to something understandable. My question is has your written English and communication skills improved since posting on such forums as Cycle Chat? 🤔 Before I started posting on forums, my level was ok, but not great, having not really written much since leaving school many decades ago. I'd like to think that my level has improved significantly. People say that you can waist waste your time, even life posting sometimes 'irrelevant' messages on forums, but I think that If you make an effort to post the Queen's King's English it's educational and good brain exercise.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
posting sometimes 'irrelevant' messages of forums

Wot? 😆

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I seem to miss words without realising, this is something I have done for years and I only notice when I see the full message I've written. My messages are often largely edited as well as checked several times.

I also type the wrong thing or make unnoticed (at the time) spelling mistakes. Seemingly I have some strange form of written aphasia, although I find it happening more and more with my speech generally too - Be around me long enough and you'll witness me suddenly being unable to speak for a few seconds or where I say the wrong totally, sometimes several times before I am able to correct myself. It doesn't help as I can also stammer.
I also find it incredibly difficult to read out loud too (I can read in my head no bother, but out loud?), something that used to cause amusement at school when I had to do things (I never understood why I did it as I loved writing. I just couldn't read, even my own words).
Alexia?

The cause of this? My brain damage.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
As part of my previous role, I was supposed to pick up learners on their SPAG, but the truth is, the standard had plummeted that low, it took all my energy to get them to understand the basic course content. I'm now a bit poacher turned gamekeeper, as I'm now expected to pick up the tutors if they aren't doing it. I can't help but feel a tad guilty. :whistle:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My English has gone downhill since being on CC. It's got to the stage where I don't even bother with capital letters when searching on Google. Quite disgraceful.:cry:

Capitals are such a pain when fast typing. I know of a few who never use them.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a quite elderly friend (I've never asked, but I bet she's in her 70's) who sends me messages in 'text speak'. I just cannot fathom out some of her written gibberish words! She had a job in administration at Blackburn hospital, so she's quite clued up about words etc, so why she feels the need to send me stuff like "av you been in cemy today? If so av they cut grass yet"?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Capitals ............I know of a few who never use them.

ee cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

Top Bottom