as yore inglis himprovad sinse poasting in sycal spat an othar forams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Nope being dyslexia dosen't kelp!!

Kids asked when are you going to get tested!
Wife said no way it's to expensive and too late!

I thought that's the price of carbon wheels!!

a.twiddler

Veteran
I suppose I must be suffering from Grammar School Twittitis. Having had the importance of correct grammar, tense and spelling bashed into me in a succession of Grammar Schools during my long distant school years, it's hard to get out of the habit. Unfortunately my two finger keyboard skills haven't improved any over the years so it's often a painstaking process to produce a long post. Edit, edit, edit. It's pretty mortifying to spot an error once I've posted something. As for Txt spk, don't even go there. All this for something as ephemeral as a Cycling Forum post. Read today, gone tomorrow. Still, if I'm going to do something, I might as well do it properly.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I suppose I must be suffering from Grammar School Twittitis. Having had the importance of correct grammar, tense and spelling bashed into me in a succession of Grammar Schools during my long distant school years, it's hard to get out of the habit. Unfortunately my two finger keyboard skills haven't improved any over the years so it's often a painstaking process to produce a long post. Edit, edit, edit. It's pretty mortifying to spot an error once I've posted something. As for Txt spk, don't even go there. All this for something as ephemeral as a Cycling Forum post. Read today, gone tomorrow. Still, if I'm going to do something, I might as well do it properly.

Yes I was taught as a kid, spelling came easily to me despite my clear aphasia and borderline alexia (or whatever it is) on reading things out loud. Following rules helped.

But now? My younger self would hate me!

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I think it's because I teach languages, not just English, that I'm such a pedant for spelling and grammar.

What does drive me bonkers is people using their/there instead of they're. :cursing:

Lee_M

Guru
I've been having a chuckle lately at the standard of written English on a local Facebook page I look at and sometimes post on. This thread title could've been copied off there, such is many posters poor standard of written English. I sometimes have to spend quite a while translating the posts to something understandable. My question is has your written English and communication skills improved since posting on such forums as Cycle Chat? 🤔 Before I started posting on forums, my level was ok, but not great, having not really written much since leaving school many decades ago. I'd like to think that my level has improved significantly. People say that you can waist waste your time, even life posting sometimes 'irrelevant' messages on forums, but I think that If you make an effort to post the Queen's King's English it's educational and good brain exercise.

To be fair, you shouldn't really post about use of the English language, if you don't understand the use of commas and apostrophes.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
To whom are you being fair?

Funny you should type that. We have quality control on the calls we take at work and I was ‘put on report’ for asking “with whom am I speaking?” as the person marking the call said it was not the Queen’s English and that I need to learn to speak ‘more better’. I decided that enough was enough and declined to accept the criticism. This led to a further report, which I appealed against.
I said that I was not prepared to dumb down to appease 20 year olds who grew up on social media and used slang and words such as ’M8’ in reports and for the same person to say that I needed to be more ‘Pacific with my cwestions’. I have dyslexia myself, but a basic spell check should have pulled the questionable spelling of questions’.
No, my spelling and grammar have not gone to pot with time and the dropping of standards :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

I have dyslexia myself, but a basic spell check should have pulled the questionable spelling of questions’.
No, my spelling and grammar have not gone to pot with time and the dropping of standards :smile:
I too have a mildish form & find spellcheck along with the grammar checking very good, although it is merkin based so not real English.

Cavalol

Guru
I've been having a chuckle lately at the standard of written English on a local Facebook page I look at and sometimes post on. This thread title could've been copied off there, such is many posters poor standard of written English. I sometimes have to spend quite a while translating the posts to something understandable. My question is has your written English and communication skills improved since posting on such forums as Cycle Chat? 🤔 Before I started posting on forums, my level was ok, but not great, having not really written much since leaving school many decades ago. I'd like to think that my level has improved significantly. People say that you can waist waste your time, even life posting sometimes 'irrelevant' messages on forums, but I think that If you make an effort to post the Queen's King's English it's educational and good brain exercise.

Oddly enough, for a little while mine became worse. I think seeing so much badly typed stuff, it almost became easy to inadvertently do the same. For some reason though, there's a sort of built in proof reader in my head which no only instantly recognised poor spelling in other folks posts (even from just skim reading) so usually spotted self errors before hitting 'enter'.

Nobody is perfect and of course errors slip through, but I do blame the internet/social media for a lot of bad spelling. If enough people type things like 'aswell' and 'no' instead of 'know' then I think people just assume it's correct and copy them.

DRM

Guru
Funny you should type that. We have quality control on the calls we take at work and I was ‘put on report’ for asking “with whom am I speaking?” as the person marking the call said it was not the Queen’s English and that I need to learn to speak ‘more better’. I decided that enough was enough and declined to accept the criticism. This led to a further report, which I appealed against.
I said that I was not prepared to dumb down to appease 20 year olds who grew up on social media and used slang and words such as ’M8’ in reports and for the same person to say that I needed to be more ‘Pacific with my cwestions’. I have dyslexia myself, but a basic spell check should have pulled the questionable spelling of questions’.

Well done you, how on earth these buffoons get these posts totally bewilders me!

Top Bottom