as yore inglis himprovad sinse poasting in sycal spat an othar forams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Mae'n well ichi ofyn i'r leprechauns

Na, rwy'n gofyn i chi

Cavalol

Guru
To be fair, you shouldn't really post about use of the English language, if you don't understand the use of commas and apostrophes.

Genuine question, is there a 'rule' for the use of commas? Only in some books I've read by successful authors, you'd read something like 'Oh, she said, in a guilty voice, to her sister' and another would type 'Oh she said, in a guilty voice to her sister'.

That probably makes no sense at at all, sorry, but hopefully you've got the gist of what I'm trying to ask. I just thought say when quoting someone's name you'd type 'Good morning, Helen, hope you're ok' rather than the same but with no commas. I'd honestly love to know because it's something that I may get wrong on most occasions.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Genuine question, is there a 'rule' for the use of commas? Only in some books I've read by successful authors, you'd read something like 'Oh, she said, in a guilty voice, to her sister' and another would type 'Oh she said, in a guilty voice to her sister'.

That probably makes no sense at at all, sorry, but hopefully you've got the gist of what I'm trying to ask. I just thought say when quoting someone's name you'd type 'Good morning, Helen, hope you're ok' rather than the same but with no commas. I'd honestly love to know because it's something that I may get wrong on most occasions.

Good morning <pause> Helen <pause> hope you’re ok?

Lee_M

Guru

There are rules, but no one agrees about them. Just look up the Oxford comma to see the disagreements!

My post was mostly a tongue in cheek response to a post criticising the use of English, that had clear errors itself.

a.twiddler

Veteran
"Oh", she said, in a guilty voice, to her sister. "It seems to me that it's all about context. I was about to mention the Oxford comma, too, but someone got in there first. If in doubt, I'd use a comma, particularly if it helps the sentence to flow, or helps to separate out nuances in the sentence. Try reading it out loud. If it sounds right, it probably is."

Just then her other sister Helen tottered painfully into the room. "Good morning, Helen. Hope you're OK. You were a bit bladdered last night." "Was I?" replied Helen. " Last thing I remember was you banging on, and on, and on, about those blasted commas of yours, until I lost the will to live. In the fridge I fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, found some Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, then some Cava. By the time I got onto the Lambrini, It could have been labelled El Vino Collapso for all I cared. I remember falling asleep, with my head down the toilet, and this morning I woke up in bed. Is that enough commas for you? Seems to me, all these commas should come with a health warning. Too many commas, or maybe not enough, are bad for your health. Anybody got any paracetamol?"

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
"Oh", she said, in a guilty voice, to her sister. "It seems to me that it's all about context. I was about to mention the Oxford comma, too, but someone got in there first. If in doubt, I'd use a comma, particularly if it helps the sentence to flow, or helps to separate out nuances in the sentence. Try reading it out loud. If it sounds right, it probably is."

Just then her other sister Helen tottered painfully into the room. "Good morning, Helen. Hope you're OK. You were a bit bladdered last night." "Was I?" replied Helen. " Last thing I remember was you banging on, and on, and on, about those blasted commas of yours, until I lost the will to live. In the fridge I fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, found some Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, then some Cava. By the time I got onto the Lambrini, It could have been labelled El Vino Collapso for all I cared. I remember falling asleep, with my head down the toilet, and this morning I woke up in bed. Is that enough commas for you? Seems to me, all these commas should come with a health warning. Too many commas, or maybe not enough, are bad for your health. Anybody got any paracetamol?

You forgot the closing " mark. :whistle:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Use of wrong words does bug me. A common one is brake or break but commas are a minefield which I try to avoid.
I also avoid using the same word more than once in a sentence.
Writing was always something I did reasonably well and in schooldays used to get top marks for essays.
For a while I wrote a column for our local news sheet regarding the activities of the cycle club. This was generally lighthearted and some people even said they only bought the thing as they got a good laugh from the cycling news.

Somebody will no doubt find all the errors in this piece. :laugh:

Top Bottom