ASA/ Cycling advert/ You just couldn't make it up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's going to get a mention on the Scottish news tonight.

BfJPbXXIgAAMvXf.png

That's not me! Some bloke of the Guardian I think.

That complain is kind of a philosophical Gordian knot, the ASA MUST find themselves guilty of being shoot at their job, ha ha!

The fundamental point is, those that introduce the danger expect the victims to concede.

It's like a version of the smoking ban where smoking's still allowed but pub goers have to wear hazchem suits.

albion

Guru
That Sustrans comment puts it very well.

The ASA are simply confirming prejudice. A prejudice that actually puts the average wooly hat cyclist at risk of yet more hostility.
Its interesting that they simply reflect much of the news media 'breeding intolerance' attitude.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Their statement doesn't give me any confidence that they'll retract their statement on the lack of a helmet.

The ASA has withdrawn its formal ruling against a Cycling Scotland ad pending the outcome of an Independent Review. That followed a request from Cycling Scotland, in which it argued that the ASA’s criticism of the positioning of the cyclist was incorrect. The decision to withdraw was made by the ASA Chief Executive in light of a potential flaw in our ruling. Once the Independent Review process is complete we will publish our decision on our website.
Their review appears to centre on the criticism of the cyclist's road position, not the freedom to choose whether to wear a helmet.

GC

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Cycling Scotland Ruling

30 January 2014
The ASA has withdrawn its formal ruling against a Cycling Scotland ad pending the outcome of an Independent Review. That followed a request from Cycling Scotland, in which it argued that the ASA’s criticism of the positioning of the cyclist was incorrect. The decision to withdraw was made by the ASA Chief Executive in light of a potential flaw in our ruling. Once the Independent Review process is complete we will publish our decision on our website.

http://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Media-Centre/2014/Cycling-Scotland-Ruling.aspx

Top Bottom