ASA/ Cycling advert/ You just couldn't make it up...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

I think that's a TMN for me and for tadpole...

GC
A What?
What is a TMN?

Frood42

I know where my towel is
A What?
What is a TMN?

Something to do with posts getting repeated.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE3r_CgScms

Girl Men Can't Hear, a woman who tries to put forward an idea to a group of men but is completely ignored, only for a man in that group to repeat what she has just said and receive congratulations from the others for having had such a good idea. This character was apparently invented by Arabella Weir to parody similar experiences she'd had with the men in the Fast Show team.

fimm

Veteran
Ah, finally an explanation of TMN! (Though why TMN? Is it anything to do with the user User13710 or is that just a conincidence?)
I came along to post the update about the ASA but other have got here first.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
From Mike Stead, via Change.org:

Hey there

Well, we knocked the bastard off - as Sir Ed said. This morning the ASA announced the following:

"The ASA has withdrawn its formal ruling against a Cycling Scotland ad pending the outcome of an Independent Review. That followed a request from Cycling Scotland, in which it argued that the ASA’s criticism of the positioning of the cyclist was incorrect. The decision to withdraw was made by the ASA Chief Executive in light of a potential flaw in our ruling. Once the Independent Review process is complete we will publish our decision on our website"

How much influence 3,400 of you piling on in had to do with it we'll never know - but when I called the ASA at 4pm yesterday the bloke on the phone knew about the petition and was sounding a bit harassed to say the least. It's all power to the collective cycling elbow.

Let's wait and see what their own internal review finds - if they find the ruling stands, then be sure I'll print out the petition and along with whoever wants to join in - Cycling Embassy of Great Britain, LCC, et al - meet with Mr Philips in person to present the case.

Pedal on.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
'Independent Review' my ar$e! They'll just wait a few weeks until it's all been forgotten about and then quietly uphold their original ruling. Useless bunch of shysters.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
'Independent Review' my ar$e! They'll just wait a few weeks until it's all been forgotten about and then quietly uphold their original ruling. Useless bunch of shysters.
I think they may realise after yesterday that there will quite a few people waiting on that response.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
TMN is, as you suggest, an abbreviation of TinyNyNewt. She pointed out to some of our slower colleagues that she'd already written much the same.

User13710 is a woman of taste, discernment, judgement, wit, and style. She's also a bit on the diminutive side. Hence the name. Except, of course, that the Newt might refer to something else entirely.

fimm

Veteran
(and some apologies for the thread drift - though some thread drift adds to the spice of life, IMO. However the original subject of this thread is sufficiently serious that too much thread drift is probably a Bad Thing...)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement. I objected to a Lucozade Sport ad which claimed it "hydrates and fuels you better than water", on the basis that while a claim to 'fuel' was doubtless grounded, on account of water contains no calories whatsoever, so its fuel value must be zero, any claim that it hydrates better than water must surely be nonsense. Surely to hydrate means to add water; how can anything 'water' you better than water?

Apparently there were many other complaints about the ad, which were ultimately upheld, and the ad ordered to be withdrawn, albeit not on the grounds I'd been moaning about, re which they said:

They [GSK] said the claim was an amalgamation of the claims "carbohydrate-electrolyte solutions enhance the absorption of water during physical exercise" and "contributes to the maintenance of endurance performance during prolonged endurance exercise". We accepted that the product met the conditions of use associated with those claims.
In other words, 'hydrates' doesn't mean what I thought it did.

Nevertheless, the ad was condemned, taken out at dawn, and shot. So they're not *that* useless. (Full ruling here, in case anyone's interested.)

Top Bottom