Ashamed to say that I was scared

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had a late meeting at work tonight and didn't finish until nearly 10pm. After the meeting a few of us went to the pub for a quick half (it was a lemonade btw as I was driving!). I had just started to drive home when I got an automated message saying that the alarm had been triggered at work and that I needed to attend (luckily I live a while away from work and the call is usually picked up by one of the other key holders but it hadn't been this time (they were in the pub btw!!).

I went back to work and it seemed like a very alien environment in the dark...I was really scared as I went room to room to see if anyone had broken in and was just waiting for a group of thugs to jump me (there's been a spate of thefts in previous months from workplaces like ours).

Not sure how to move on...Realised I hate being a key holder and more to the point, hate it even more that I rely on other poeple to do this every day if it goes off.

Any thoughts (be kind...I know I'm just being a wuss!)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's entirely natural that you found your darkened workplace a bit creepy when you are used to seeing it crowded, with the lights on, or in broad daylight. We did a job in a huge open plan office building at weekends when it was deserted. It seemed blooming strange. If you half expected a bogie man to appear, I think being freaked out was the least of what I would feel. Well done!

I feel your nerves buddy. I used to work at a place just off Ordsall Lane in Salford, and TBH it was bad enough in the daytime, (no offence to any Salfordians ;))

I got called out once during the night, and TBH I pulled up just down the road and sat watching the windows for a good 10 minutes before I could bring myself to go in, and even then I was bricking myself :thumbsdown:

The company policy was that if you found you needed a Police presence once you arrived then just call them, gee whiz, thanks for that :cursing:

A few years later and THIS happened just around the corner on Boxing Day :eek: I don't work there now :surrender:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not surprised that you were scared either - I would have been!

Talking of me being scared in the dark ... I was asleep a few weeks ago but something disturbed me and I started to wake up in the middle of the night. It is important to note that I am single, have no pets, and had no guests.

I half opened my eyes, and dreamily saw a shadowy figure standing at the end of my bed. I thought I must be dreaming and started to nod off again, but then the floorboards creaked and the figure moved. :eek:

I got a massive shot of adrenaline, sat bolt upright in bed and screamed threats at the intruder. I soon realised it was my ex! She told me to hush, I would wake the neighbours ...

After about 30 seconds of shock-induced WTFing, I managed to find out that she was suffering from insomnia and wanted a mug of tea to drink while reading for an hour or two in bed. She had run out of milk, so she thought she would nip round the corner to my house and use the spare key I had left with her to let herself in and scrounge some from my fridge. She didn't want to just take it in case I woke up and thought there were burglars in the house. So, instead she acted like a burglar and crept into my room while I was asleep to tell me what she was doing ...! :wacko:

I suggested that it would be better if she did not do that again in case next time I lashed out first, asked questions later. :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
I was used to having call-outs but one in the small hours was memorable, it was bad enough having to get out of my lodgings without disturbing others, but then I had to drive a couple of miles on public road before unlocking a gate, and driving across open country for another three miles up a hill to an unattended radio station. There were no lights to be seen right around pitch black. I entered the darkened building and into the equipment room. As I was crouched down investigating the problem I heard the door open, not sure if I should look or hide, I looked to see an apparition in his pyjamas come through the door. This guy had been unable to find accommodation and was sleeping on the premises, I hadn't seen his van parked round the back of the building. Fortunately I recognised him and we agreed we had scared each other equally!

Can't say I blame you. It's always more creepy in the dark, something that's just built into us and hard to overcome. I mean, has your buildings ghost ever been seen during daylight? :evil:

And why do crimes always seem more headline grabbing when committed 'in broad daylight'?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Before I drove buses, I was a security guard for some time, and that was the normal situation of my work. I worked in a couple of haunted buildings. As with anything, with practice, you become used to it. Previous to that, I was also on the call list of the photographic retailer and lab. But the only time we ever had an intruder, it was just a guy from the home office who had forgotten the alarm code. I and my dog got there, and she found him immediately before 2 police cars got there. Oh, how we all laughed.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks everyone...I'm definitely going to bring it up today. Mainly because I'm not usually the one having to go in and rely on others to do it who live closer. Really feel for those guys now!

Ganymede

Veteran
I'm not surprised that you were scared either - I would have been!

Talking of me being scared in the dark ... I was asleep a few weeks ago but something disturbed me and I started to wake up in the middle of the night. It is important to note that I am single, have no pets, and had no guests.

I half opened my eyes, and dreamily saw a shadowy figure standing at the end of my bed. I thought I must be dreaming and started to nod off again, but then the floorboards creaked and the figure moved. :eek:

I got a massive shot of adrenaline, sat bolt upright in bed and screamed threats at the intruder. I soon realised it was my ex! She told me to hush, I would wake the neighbours ...

After about 30 seconds of shock-induced WTFing, I managed to find out that she was suffering from insomnia and wanted a mug of tea to drink while reading for an hour or two in bed. She had run out of milk, so she thought she would nip round the corner to my house and use the spare key I had left with her to let herself in and scrounge some from my fridge. She didn't want to just take it in case I woke up and thought there were burglars in the house. So, instead she acted like a burglar and crept into my room while I was asleep to tell me what she was doing ...! :wacko:

I suggested that it would be better if she did not do that again in case next time I lashed out first, asked questions later. :laugh:
Peppermint tea. Buy her some peppermint tea.

Top Bottom