Ashamed to say that I was scared

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was about 17 I landed a cushy job as night porter at the Gosforth Park Hotel. It was quite an eye-opener to see the night time antics of some guests, especially as once a night you had to do a clock round where you went round all the corridors of the hotel turning 43 little keys in a clock thingy hung round your neck to record your visit. There were sometimes semi-naked blokes scurrying from room to room and looking embarrassed - I guess it was Hallowe'en every night with all the folk getting the willies put up them.
Puntastic - ouch! :smile:

I was quite surprised, as an inhabitant of Hebden Bridge, that she wasn't drinking it anyway! :biggrin:
She does like it, but must have run out!

cd365

Guru
My wife used to be a Bank Manager so was on call-out duties. Whenever she got a call I would insist on going with her since she was the only one who would be attending! I would be the one who would go and have a good looka round the cellars whilst she cowered behind me. I didn't feel it was safe at all for her to be doing it alone.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Often, it is not like you turn on all the lights in a central location. There is usually system that has a certain low level of light provided along your clock route.

KEEF

Veteran
armed-to-the-teeth.jpg
KEEF patrolling his office after hours

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Next time do what a cop I used to know would do: on nightshifts this utter shytebag would wear the loudest tackety boots, whistle lots and have his personal radio turned up loud enough to be heard 100 yards away.

(Not that I'm suggesting you're an utter shytebag too, but it's a ploy that works.)

GC

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I know that feeling! I was once the designated locker-up for our outlying sub-office after midweek overtime finished. Everyone else shot off home at 20.00 like rats out of drainpipes, leaving me to do my rounds of checking lights and windows and then locking up the office . I got half way to the car park in the pitch black before looking back over my shoulder and noticing that one window was reflecting the moonlight differently, and was still wide open. My shoulders sank, and I sighed and turned back to go and see to it.

When I got back to the front door, I unlocked it again and started to jog up the stairs to go and close the offending first floor window, when I caught sight of a furtive figure - a silhoutte- running across the corridor upstairs and into the ladies toilets. :eek: I should probably have turned tail and reported an intruder to the security guard in our main building, but for some reason I tip-toed onwards until I was outside the said loo door. I put my ear to the door and listened for a moment, and was sure I heard someone moving. Eventually I called out (in truth a couple of notes higher than I would really have liked) "Anybody there?" with no reply. Then there was another noise inside, and I repeated my challenge in a more manly tone, still with no reply. Quite why I did it, I will never know, but I opened the door and went inside, challenging him again. "Oh my God! You frightened the life out of me!" said the man, who had pressed his back up against the far wall, panting with fright......... It was our security guard! :surrender: He had seen me coming up the stairs and thought I was an intruder - and promptly ran into the ladies' and hid. Not sure which of us was more scared, but when he caught sight of my 6'6" silhouette, I suppose I have to excuse him for legging it.

cd365

Guru
I know that feeling! I was once the designated locker-up for our outlying sub-office after midweek overtime finished. Everyone else shot off home at 20.00 like rats out of drainpipes, leaving me to do my rounds of checking lights and windows and then locking up the office . I got half way to the car park in the pitch black before looking back over my shoulder and noticing that one window was reflecting the moonlight differently, and was still wide open. My shoulders sank, and I sighed and turned back to go and see to it.

When I got back to the front door, I unlocked it again and started to jog up the stairs to go and close the offending first floor window, when I caught sight of a furtive figure - a silhoutte- running across the corridor upstairs and into the ladies toilets. :eek: I should probably have turned tail and reported an intruder to the security guard in our main building, but for some reason I tip-toed onwards until I was outside the said loo door. I put my ear to the door and listened for a moment, and was sure I heard someone moving. Eventually I called out (in truth a couple of notes higher than I would really have liked) "Anybody there?" with no reply. Then there was another noise inside, and I repeated my challenge in a more manly tone, still with no reply. Quite why I did it, I will never know, but I opened the door and went inside, challenging him again. "Oh my God! You frightened the life out of me!" said the man, who had pressed his back up against the far wall, panting with fright......... It was our security guard! :surrender: He had seen me coming up the stairs and thought I was an intruder - and promptly ran into the ladies' and hid. Not sure which of us was more scared, but when he caught sight of my 6'6" silhouette, I suppose I have to excuse him for legging it.
Hahahahaha, great story

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That reminds me, I too worked as a Night Porter many years ago, and I also spent more time looking backwards on patrols than forwards.

It was probably wasn't helped by the fact I'd seen a ghost* in the place anyway, plus there were several other rumours of sightings as well :eek:

This was the PACK HORSE HOTEL in Bolton town centre which is now STUDENT accommodation.

*that's a whole other story, but suffice to say that part of the hotel was located on the site of the mortuary of the old Bolton hospital from the mid 19th century!

I worked at Brockhall Hospital near Blackburn. One thundering and lightning night i had to take a deceased patient to the chapel/morgue. I opened the wrong fridge door,it was already occupied. Very scary indeed! :ohmy:

Top Bottom