England : Kent ashford club or shall i start one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
is there any clubs in the ashford type area, or upto about 20ish mile radius) for sunday leisurely type rides and mid distance sort of stuff?
if not if i were to start one JUST IF would anyone on here be interested? anyone would be welcome from bob next door to me to some random person from china regardless of age, type of bike etc!
Cheers Ed

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not an easy job running a club, and you'll ideally need BC or CTC affiliation for insurance purposes and public liability, for a start ! Done it myself !

Go on British Cycling's web site and look for the 'club finder' button. Type in where you live, and 'vola' you have a list !

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi , we started Abingdon Freewheeling for exactly the same purpose to get all kinds of people out on group rides. We started by organising a small festival from the mkt square and people came!

We then formed a club with the help of our local CTC friends and are affiliated to them for insurance. We have a website but Facebook provides a great platform to get going. We have a small £3 membership to cover ride leader insurance and the website.

4 years later our festival had some 500 participants. We have regular weekday and weekend rides for most abilities.

It's not to onerous to organise a loose Freewheeling style club, in fact doing it your own way is part of the fun.

Just do it !

Chrisz

Über Member
Ashford Wheelers is (possibly) the most local mate!

Been around for years, lots of TT events, Sunday rides leave Motorline (Renault Garage), Chart Road at 09:00hrs - usually we head out towards Rye and back. Good bunch of guys :smile:

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I would be interested ,but I'm on the Kent coast ...
where abouts on the kent coast?
It's not an easy job running a club, and you'll ideally need BC or CTC affiliation for insurance purposes and public liability, for a start ! Done it myself !

Go on British Cycling's web site and look for the 'club finder' button. Type in where you live, and 'vola' you have a list !
do you mean i need some sort of special club membership to cover all members of club with ctc or bc? if so what sort of membership and where do i find out about this?

i have checked the club finder thing and the closest one on there suitable for myself is about30 or so odd miles away!
Cheers Ed

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I admire your spirit young Ed. So many people just couldn't be bothered to start a club and would just sit on their a*rse! A formal club might just be a bit too much for you to manage but maybe an informal group of like minded persons in the area could be mobilised.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are probably best off organising informal get togethers. If you want to start a club then I'd suggest having a good look at the British Cycling or (for sandal wearers) the CTC site. Anything formal will need insurance, e.g even the regular FNRTTC night rides organised from here and another forum.

Plimsolled

is there any clubs in the ashford type area, or upto about 20ish mile radius) for sunday leisurely type rides and mid distance sort of stuff?
if not if i were to start one JUST IF would anyone on here be interested? anyone would be welcome from bob next door to me to some random person from china regardless of age, type of bike etc!
Cheers Ed
there seem to be no clubs or groups for informal riding in the ashford area. i would be interested in something informal.

Hi Ed, further to an earlier communication. Last year I joined the Thornton Road Club which meets at The RHDR (light railway station) cafe, Hythe, Sundays and Wednesdays and found the members very welcoming. There are all kinds of riders and groups form on the day according to ability. Routes usually pass your home area so you could join in without going out of your way. No need to join the club to participate in the Sunday and Wednesday rides.

Links to club:
http://www.thorntonrc.co.uk/
http://www.strava.com/clubs/thornton-road-club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThorntonRC/

Chrisz

Über Member
there seem to be no clubs or groups for informal riding in the ashford area. i would be interested in something informal.

How "informal" do you want Plimsolled?

Ashford Wheelers is (possibly) the most local mate!

Been around for years, lots of TT events, Sunday rides leave Motorline (Renault Garage), Chart Road at 09:00hrs - usually we head out towards Rye and back. Good bunch of guys :smile:

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
i am going to get my self along on one of the sfacc rides soon and see what i think if i don't get on there i will try the thornton club @Stephen Piper suggested
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom