England : Kent ashford club or shall i start one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
many clubs seem to go pretty fast so i might wait until i get a road bike in the summer
Cheers Ed

Nathan AV

It is entirely possible to set up your own club but there is lots of hard work involved and plenty of backwards and forwards with the likes of British Cycling, kit manufactures and potential members. Not forgetting that you may want a website to get your club out there then there is additional costs for that.
If you serious in wanting to set a club up then do it. Me and some friends who had been riding together did exactly that. 2 weeks in we have 20 members (not a lot compared to the 500's,1000's that other clubs get but we will hopefully get there).

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
It is entirely possible to set up your own club but there is lots of hard work involved and plenty of backwards and forwards with the likes of British Cycling, kit manufactures and potential members. Not forgetting that you may want a website to get your club out there then there is additional costs for that.
If you serious in wanting to set a club up then do it. Me and some friends who had been riding together did exactly that. 2 weeks in we have 20 members (not a lot compared to the 500's,1000's that other clubs get but we will hopefully get there).
is the British Cycling for insurance?
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
where abouts on the kent coast?

do you mean i need some sort of special club membership to cover all members of club with ctc or bc? if so what sort of membership and where do i find out about this?

i have checked the club finder thing and the closest one on there suitable for myself is about30 or so odd miles away!
Cheers Ed

The post before this mentioned Ashford Wheelers and you cannot find them, open your eye's they are behind you.

screenman

Legendary Member
sorry, yes i did look at there site at the FAQ section here
http://www.ashfordwheelers.org.uk/faq.php
but it said they average about 17-18mph which i couldn't do over 50 miles until i get my road bike this summer
Cheers Ed

That old piff again, inside a club there are many members, not all do the Sunday run many will do their own thing unadvertised but still open to other club members. Our club has 180 members some do not even own a bike, I did try and count once but got lost at about 19 rides that a person could join in on each week, there were more.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm a member of a CTC-affiliated group which started up as a group of friends getting together for rides. It's now much more formal and organised but the principles are the same - cake, lots of laughs, cake, exploring the local area and further afield ... and cake. T'is a lot of work and definitely not something I'd suggest anyone takes on without others to help.

Nathan AV

is the British Cycling for insurance?
Cheers Ed
Mainly, but they have many other benefits aswell, CTC is also an option. We also have a couple of members who race and British cycling is required for that also.
The abilities of our riders are quite diverse, we have members who've never done 30 mile until the weekend and other riders which are racing snakes averaging 20mph wherever they go solo. We will however always go at the slowest members pace and meet at the top of the climbs, wait at the bottom of the descents and just enjoy the group ides.
We have a calendar which has the main group rides on but members are free to organise their own rides if they cant make the other rides or do not feel the group ride suits them.

Alex Stout

Regular
Hi Ed this maybe a bit late but look up Club Grappa Ashford its run on Facebook and Strava its the Ashford Arm of Club Grappa.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Hi Ed this maybe a bit late but look up Club Grappa Ashford its run on Facebook and Strava its the Ashford Arm of Club Grappa.
nope i'm still on the look for clubs but have found a few like SFACC that i am hopefully going to join one of their rides soon
Cheers Ed

Alex Stout

Regular
The SFA are a cracking bunch I have ridden with one of the guys that runs it while on holiday in Mallorca they are a big club with a lot of rides so I'm sure you will find a ride that suits you.

ColinW

Regular
The AWCC Sunday rides DO go out at 17-18mph over 50 miles so you can believe it or not. To the OP, you might want to build up to these. Your difficulty early on will be finding people in the club who want to get together for a more relaxed ride as the Sunday run or the Wednesday night TT are the usual meeting point for the club

Top Bottom