"Ask" Italian Restaurants - have you tried one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
Speicher said:
Can you bring Joe Calzaghe with you? :thumbsup:
Don't you mean Joe Calzone?

yello

Will1985 said:
Funny you say that because they are all part of the same restaurant group and have very similar menus!

That's as maybe but I still preferred Zizi's! :hyper:

I'm sure in head office there are 2 different marketing policies and client demographics for the 2 restaurants... I mean, the quality of lav paper in Zizi's was so obvioulsy more up market than Ask!

AyrshireBacon

We went to the one in Wells, Somerset in 2007 and were very impressed. Kids were particularly pleased with their menus.

On the back of that we sought out the one in Truro in 2008 and didn't like it nearly so much.

Saying that, if I had a voucher for £1 I would definately use it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Used to go to one near Victoria Station, Londinium now and again... fine, if you're not expecting anything PROPERLY Italian... was decent food, decent price, and lovely waitresses grinding those big pepper pots, which always triggers my smut-nerve. :blush:

yello

Fnaar said:
fine, if you're not expecting anything PROPERLY Italian

Before I left London, 2 years back, the Italian Embassy wanted to classify Italian restaurants for their authenticity. Their motivation was the concern for 'proper' Italian food. I think they thought the popular perceptions of pizza and Ask/Zizi style pasta dishes were tarnishing the reputation!

I have been to a few 'proper' Italian restaurants and I don't think I would get confused myself! They're worlds apart from a Pizza Hut, and it would genuinely surprise me if anyone thought that Pizza Hut was the sum total of Italian food! They're different beasts, each having their place, just like a US sandwich and and UK one. :blush:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Absolutely agree... like the English language, Italian food "went global" a long time ago, and its future development is no longer in the hands of its originators. :blush:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
There is a Zizzi's in Oxford, so I might try that instead. Or looking at Zizzi's website, this year they had a similar offer - buy one main meal and full price and get a second for £1 - in January. I will look out for one next January.

I am always wary of the fact that you have to present the voucher before ordering, so do they alter the quantity, quality accordingly. Sceptic Moi? :blush:

thomas

the tank engine
Speicher said:
There is a Zizzi's in Oxford, so I might try that instead. Or looking at Zizzi's website, this year they had a similar offer - buy one main meal and full price and get a second for £1 - in January. I will look out for one next January.

I am always wary of the fact that you have to present the voucher before ordering, so do they alter the quantity, quality accordingly. Sceptic Moi? :blush:

I'm willing to bet they still make a profit on the quid...and you have to buy a full price meal anyway.

For instance, a Pizza Hut pizza costs them around 13p to make...

Top Bottom