asparagus, how to cook it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
Should be served with Buerre Blanc dont you lot know anything ? I thought I taught you better than that.:blush:

I missed that lesson. Is it just slightly burnt butter? ;)

Davidc

Guru
Steam it for 2 minutes.

British is best for cultivated asparagus. Southern French for wild. Mont St. Victoire for perfection.

Makes my pee reek though.

lukesdad

Davidc said:
Steam it for 2 minutes.

British is best for cultivated asparagus. Southern French for wild. Mont St. Victoire for perfection.

Makes my pee reek though.
Dont forget Samphire !

longers

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
You are describing Buerre Noisette.

I've googled and now know a bit more.

I did see a recipe for asparagus in filo pastry but didn't pay much attention to that either as I've not seen much for sale round here and it's not cheap in the shops.

lukesdad

longers said:
I've googled and now know a bit more.

I did see a recipe for asparagus in filo pastry but didn't pay much attention to that either as I've not seen much for sale round here and it's not cheap in the shops.
Filo pastry is for steak houses its crap!!!!

lukesdad

Brahan said:
Wipe a small amount of butter over each piece and gently grill them. Serve with grated parmesan, salt and pepper.
Why slowly dry out such wonderfull produce! and if you want cheese put it on toast... Phillestine:wacko:

mangaman

lukesdad said:
Why slowly dry out such wonderfull produce! and if you want cheese put it on toast... Phillestine:wacko:

I agree - the 1st British asparagus of the sason should be treated with respect :smile:

Break it gently as described above and steam it standing up in a closed pan.

If you want to enjot it, don't smother it in Parmasan - a bit of butter as you serve it is all it takes for a great seasonal British meal.

wafflycat

Here's the heresy but it works brilliantly.

Do the bit about snapping the stem.

Lay the asparagus flat in a shallow microwaveable dish.

Add a teaspoon or two of water. Cover with clingfilm.

Cook in microwave until the water becomes steam. Asparagus now done to perfection and retaining all of that delicious asparagus flavour.

Eat as desired, be it with egg, hollandaise, butter - whatever is your favourite.

Debian

wafflycat said:
Here's the heresy but it works brilliantly.

Do the bit about snapping the stem.

Lay the asparagus flat in a shallow microwaveable dish.

Add a teaspoon or two of water. Cover with clingfilm.

Cook in microwave until the water becomes steam. Asparagus now done to perfection and retaining all of that delicious asparagus flavour.

Eat as desired, be it with egg, hollandaise, butter - whatever is your favourite.

+1

I think you have it there. Just cook the asparagus to your liking, put on it whatever floats your boat and enjoy. Who cares how or what with so long as you enjoy it?

Top Bottom