asparagus, how to cook it.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Paulus, 19 May 2010.

1. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

I have bought some fresh English asparagus today from the market. I like it when I have eaten it in resturants, but have never cooked it. how? Ideas please.:tongue:

2. Mark_Robson

Mark_Robson Senior Member

My wife steams it. I just eat it. :tongue:

3. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

Dip briefly (say 30 seconds) in a large saucepan of boiling water, drain, then toss in butter. Season to taste.

If not young and tender, I would peel before cooking.

4. guitarpete247

guitarpete247 Just about surviving

Break off the woody bit of the stem by gently bending the spear until it snaps. (Compost the woody end). Then I either steam it for approx 5 mins, gently boil it for a couple of mins or you could even drop it onto a very hot griddle with a little butter and turn it several times. As it cooks you will get some niced caramelised bits of stem.
    Don't burn it.
    Don't let it over cook if boiling or steaming and dress it with butter to serve.
    I even add it into chicken risotto chopped up, near the end of cooking so it doesn't go mushy.

5. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

Cook as described above and serve with a runny (not snotty) poached egg. Yum.

6. You can also griddle it, but it's better steamed or boiled. You can get special pans for it and everything.
    Hollandaise sauce is lovely with asparagus, but I also like lemon juice, black pepper and melted butter :tongue:

7. or a soft boiled egg and use the stems as soldiers :tongue:

8. OP
    OP
    Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Cheers guys and girls, my juices are already flowing:biggrin:

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

:tongue: I was in Germany a couple of weeks back, and we had asparagus, with enough hollandaise to drown a rat in....:tongue:

Tip: if you can't be bothered with making a proper hollandaise ( like mayonnaise, with lemon in), my Mum has a 'quick' recipe. Make up some bechamel (white sauce) and add an egg yolk and lemon juice - stir quickly to prevent the egg scrambling in the hot sauce.

10. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I'll be having asparagus tonight too. Boiled for a couple of minutes and served with butter.

The ensuing fragrance of my urine is not something that I'm looking forward to though.

Still, I'm prepared to suffer for the chance to indulge in the epecurian pleasures of the green spears.

11. RyanW

RyanW The abominable Bikeman

i personally like to palce it in a saucepan with butter, and cook till tender. Very bad for you, but heavenly

12. RyanW

RyanW The abominable Bikeman

PS dosent affect my pee :tongue: genetics for you

13. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Should be served with Buerre Blanc dont you lot know anything ? I thought I taught you better than that.:tongue:

14. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Asparagus is also nice fried in a little balsamic vinegar.

15. Piemaster

Piemaster Guru

Sorry, you're all wrong.
    The ships professional, 'the cook', prefers the boil it until limp. Then boil it some more, until all the colour has gone. This must be done well in advance of serving to give it chance to go cold. Boil again to warm before serving and leave on a plate so its cold by the time the last of the crew get to the front of the queue.

:sad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice