asparagus, how to cook it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have bought some fresh English asparagus today from the market. I like it when I have eaten it in resturants, but have never cooked it. how? Ideas please.:tongue:

Mark_Robson

My wife steams it. I just eat it. :tongue:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Dip briefly (say 30 seconds) in a large saucepan of boiling water, drain, then toss in butter. Season to taste.

If not young and tender, I would peel before cooking.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Break off the woody bit of the stem by gently bending the spear until it snaps. (Compost the woody end). Then I either steam it for approx 5 mins, gently boil it for a couple of mins or you could even drop it onto a very hot griddle with a little butter and turn it several times. As it cooks you will get some niced caramelised bits of stem.
Don't burn it.
Don't let it over cook if boiling or steaming and dress it with butter to serve.
I even add it into chicken risotto chopped up, near the end of cooking so it doesn't go mushy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
Hollandaise sauce is lovely with asparagus

:tongue: I was in Germany a couple of weeks back, and we had asparagus, with enough hollandaise to drown a rat in....:tongue:

Tip: if you can't be bothered with making a proper hollandaise ( like mayonnaise, with lemon in), my Mum has a 'quick' recipe. Make up some bechamel (white sauce) and add an egg yolk and lemon juice - stir quickly to prevent the egg scrambling in the hot sauce.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'll be having asparagus tonight too. Boiled for a couple of minutes and served with butter.

The ensuing fragrance of my urine is not something that I'm looking forward to though.

Still, I'm prepared to suffer for the chance to indulge in the epecurian pleasures of the green spears.

lukesdad

Should be served with Buerre Blanc dont you lot know anything ? I thought I taught you better than that.:tongue:

Sorry, you're all wrong.
The ships professional, 'the cook', prefers the boil it until limp. Then boil it some more, until all the colour has gone. This must be done well in advance of serving to give it chance to go cold. Boil again to warm before serving and leave on a plate so its cold by the time the last of the crew get to the front of the queue.

:sad:

Top Bottom