Aspirations to cycle in France - some help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I live in Portsmouth and suddenly have the idea to cycle in France. Being based in Portsmouth it makes logistical sense to get one of the ferries from here, get off the other end, have a cycle for a day or 2 then get the ferry back.

Any ideas on best Portsmouth ferry for best route and the other end and indeed any route suggestions? 100ish miles a day?

Oldbloke

Guru
I met a couple of cyclists on the Caen-Portsmouth ferry who had taken the Portsmouth-St Malo service then ridden to Caen, stopping off for a night en route.

You've got a choice of ferries from Portsmouth; Caen, St Malo, Le Havre or Cherbourg so loads of choice for a short tour (we've done several like that). St Malo to Caen following the coast is a nice ride over three days, about 260 miles.

Tin Pot

Guru
I tend to over reach on my trips.

If you're on your own, I'd think of two hours easy cycling in the morning, two hours in the afternoon and pick some vague destinations accordingly - explore, see what you find, take it as it comes.

Use Airbnb on the day to book accommodation, and use panniers.

Have fun :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Remember that in parts of France (and not just the ultra-rural areas), quaint customs like half-day closing and even not-opening-at-all-day are still practiced. Sunday is also well observed, often with the shops that do open only being open for a couple of hours in the morning.

Shouldn't be a major issue, but worth a bit of research when planning your route so you don't get stranded kilometres from the nearest open shop or café.

robgul

Legendary Member
Portsmouth - Caen ... couple of days riding west and then back to Caen and the ferry - D-Day beaches and Bayeux are interesting. Our 2017 club tour is starting with that and then continuing to ride along the coast to Calais and home from there

Rob

vt2

Guru
Brittany Ferries have a day return deal where you get up to 24 hours in France. Last year at this time a group of us took the overnight ferry to St Malo, then had a day ride loop to Dinan then the overnight ferry back. We are doing the same in a week's time with a loop starting south of Dinan. This only really works with the Monday sailing out and Tuesday evening sailing back. We take the bikes by car on the ferry as it gives us more flexibility [and is about the same price]. The crossing is longer to St Malo so you board and wake up at a sensible hour compared to the Caen crossing. For seven of us with two cars and two cabins both ways this cost an average of £66 a head this year.

Top Bottom