Assaulted on Finchley Rd...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eml1909

OK, so it was more 'handbags at 12 paces' than an 'assault', but this idiot (estate agent) was beeping at me for holding primary and when I challenged him about this he got out of his car, screamed in my face and then lunged at me. I had done abolutely nothing wrong and it was entirely unprovoked. Although not serious, I was shaken up by the whole thing.

Thankfully, I wear a helmet cam and I have the whole thing on video. I have his car registration details and I know where he works because his car was a company car with advertising on it.

I intend to write to his employer and to send them a copy of the video.

Question: does anyone know the easiest way of reporting this to the police?

Recycler

Phone them. Not on 999.
Personally I would also bung it on You Tube. If nothing it may well be a good way to embarrass the man.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Judging by your description, you were indeed assaulted. The essential elements of assault consist of an act intended to cause an apprehension of harmful or offensive contact that causes apprehension of such contact in the victim.

If it comes to blows, that's battery.

Under UK law, both assault and battery are punishable by a fine of not more than £5,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 6 months.

sabian92

Über Member
Used his car as a weapon with the company logo down the side?
Got a look at his face?
Witnesses?
On Camera?

What a complete dickhead.

Fingers crossed for a warning or prosecution and sacking although this is the CPS we're talking about here.

Glad you're ok.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Yep write to his employer stating that you believe he has brought the firm into disrepute and that not only are you going to take legal action, that you will also be going to the media (ie metro etc..) unless they sanction him. That should start the ball rolling on him.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
EML ring 101 and report it to the police. Behaviour like that can not go unpunished. As quoted above he has assaulted you. If anyone else was about he could have commited either a Section 5 or 4a Public order offence (depending on what was said). Not to mention any traffic issues and a probable Section 69 warning.. Really would go down well opn a company vehicle!. Report it. If you want a proffessional opinion post it on you tube as Private and let me and Copper cyclist take a look!

400bhp

Guru
Yep write to his employer stating that you believe he has brought the firm into disrepute and that not only are you going to take legal action, that you will also be going to the media (ie metro etc..) unless they sanction him. That should start the ball rolling on him.

Threats don't work.You need to show subtlety.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Please put it on YouTube, and put the vehicle registration adn the company name in the video title and tags? I'd definitely complain to both the company and Roadsafe it.

That sort of behaviour is exactly why we need to bring more consequences to drivers. Nasty behaviour like that cannot be tolerated.

cloggsy

Boardmanist

Coppers up here (apparently) can't watch YouTube on their work computers, so I'd stick the whole video on a DVD (so they can see you weren't riding like a dick) and take it in to the Police Station to make a complaint; you've got all the details and info there to hand then!

EML ring 101 and report it to the police. Behaviour like that can not go unpunished. As quoted above he has assaulted you. If anyone else was about he could have commited either a Section 5 or 4a Public order offence (depending on what was said). Not to mention any traffic issues and a probable Section 69 warning.. Really would go down well opn a company vehicle!. Report it. If you want a proffessional opinion post it on you tube as Private and let me and Copper cyclist take a look!

As above. From your description it should at least be crimed as a Section 4 Public Order. Report it sooner rather than later - you can always just go into your local police station too.

101 is a useful number for calling the police in non-emergencies that I don't think has been advertised enough!

Does sound like an assault to me. Definitely needs reporting. And the driver can easily be identified, so that's one hurdle overcome.

I'd keep your video off Youtube until the Police have had a chance to deal with it. If they fail (and, sadly, they often do), then the company name needs wider exposure.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
As others have said, report it to the police. I wouldn't necessarily hold your breath, but if that route doesn't work you can cause the idiot and his employer a great deal of embarrassment on youtube. If you do this, definitely tag it with the company name and email the link to the company as that should result as a minimum in his boss having short, sharp words with him.

Recycler

As others have said, report it to the police. I wouldn't necessarily hold your breath, but if that route doesn't work you can cause the idiot and his employer a great deal of embarrassment on youtube. If you do this, definitely tag it with the company name and email the link to the company as that should result as a minimum in his boss having short, sharp words with him.

I agree with that, and also the earlier comment about not appearing to threaten the company or, indeed, trying to lay the law down with them.
With these things it's a mistake to assume that his boss will sort him out. He may be the boss!

Top Bottom