Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

Yes I did an an interview with the Observer and sent them some video stills. All above board.

HotSpot have lifted stills from the road rage video and personal photos belonging to me and a friend, claiming copyright on them and selling them to the Mail, which has also republished a clip of my video with the watermark intact.

asterix

Comrade Member
I think it's probably fair to assume that a forum called Pistonheads is unlikely to be the most cyclist-friendly on the net.

True, although many of them display signs of intelligence about other matters. Mind you IIRC we used to think there was intelligent life on Mars (the planet, not the TV series!) so I am only cautiously optimistic.

Anyway my belated best wishes to the OP in his quest for justice against a scumbag.

Recycle

Über Member
Oh and I have no dealings with HotSpot Media, which I had not heard of until this morning but has claimed copyright on mine and a friend's works on the story sold to the Daily Hate. I think I'm going to need a solicitor.
A solicitor would be a good idea. There is some advice on Martin Porter's blog site on how to select a lawyer:
http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/
He is a barrister which is probably overkill for your needs but I'm sure that he would give good advice on how to meet your requirements.
The other option is to contact the cyclist defence fund http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/

I haven't read any of the recent comments on the Daily Mail but you can draw some solace from the fact that when I did peek I was surprised how much support you had.

I think that one of the reasons why this blew up so big is that the injustice is so apparent, and most of us could see ourself in your position. Keep your chin up, you have a lot of support.

400bhp

Guru
All those newspaper reports leave out the fact that the driver denied it at first and claimed BCS kicked his van.
I wonder what the insurance and tax office will make of the company van being driven by someone who is "not an employee" ?

absolutely nothing.

OP
OP
B

Black Country Ste

My reaction to the HotSpot nicking my stuff was licensing the video this evening to a news agency that got in touch last Thursday, which is probably now handing out takedown notices. Hopefully they won't go after the YouTube mirrors. I'll ask about that when I go into the office tomorrow morning.

The world knows who I am now so may as well try to enjoy the fuss.

400bhp

Guru
This thread is worth noting for anyone thinking of getting a headcam and then posting the videos in public.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I think all motorists should have to have some cyclists awareness training within their tests. I don't drive but I wouldnt mind learning something which could save me a life of guilt and remorse.

I think all cyclists should have some motorist awareness training within a compulsory training scheme. I do drive and I sometimes shudder when I see cyclists who could do with some training which would save themselves from an impaired life or a premature termination of life.

Not all blame can be laid at the feet of the motorised users of the highways when there's collisions between cyclists and motorised vehicles.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My reaction to the HotSpot nicking my stuff was licensing the video this evening to a news agency that got in touch last Thursday, which is probably now handing out takedown notices.

The world knows who I am now so may as well try to enjoy the fuss.

Two things here; they've taken your own work - which isn't good for them They do pay for stories, so should at least give you recompense for doing so.

If not, there's the Press Complaints Commission, etc.

It'll blow over soon, honest.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
So this hot spot media obtained what one could call private photos then sold the them to the tabloids along with the footage? No doubt you can sue and make a pretty penny out of this.

Top Bottom