Assos Bib Tights not what they claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm, 10°C isn't what I would call particularly cold either, unless there was a bitterly cold wind giving a big chill factor?

What did you have on your feet? I find if my feet get cold, then my legs feel cold. I wear lightweight overshoes to stop the wind chilling my feet in cool weather. If it is likely to be cold and wet I wear heavy-duty neoprene overshoes.

OP
OP
O

old bell

On my top I was wearing a long sleeved cycling top with a wind proof jacket over it.

The Rose Bikes actual policy (under German law) is you have a right to return the goods within one month, but they will make a deduction for any use. I emailed them and they said they do not accept tights and neither do Assos. I have tried to elicit some recompense, eg a discount on a warmer pair, but they do not seem to be interested.

OP
OP
O

old bell

ColinJ, you are right about my feet, and on Sunday although it was a minimum of 10 deg there was a light northerly breeze. I was wearing ordinary SPD shoes and my feet were cold. I have since bought some neoprene overshoes. I have thought that I could wear some long skiing socks, which would help the part of my legs that were cold.

raindog

er.....
Can't you use them for slightly higher temperatures and buy something else a bit warmer for when it's less than 10°? At that price, they must be bloody good quality and should last you years.
I'm still wearing 3/4 bibs down here and it's varying between 10° and 18° at the moment. Oh, and I paid €35 for them from Decathlon!
biggrin.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ, you are right about my feet, and on Sunday although it was a minimum of 10 deg there was a light northerly breeze. I was wearing ordinary SPD shoes and my feet were cold. I have since bought some neoprene overshoes. I have thought that I could wear some long skiing socks, which would help the part of my legs that were cold.
Ah, well ...! :whistle:

I'd try again with your overshoes on. I think you will notice a big difference.

OP
OP
O

old bell

Raindog - I may have to do as you suggest. However, I was planning on wearing the Assos tights through the Winter and simply not ride in low temperatures because of the risk of frost/ice.

I wasn't expecting to have to buy another pair of tights and my budget has been used up.

raindog

er.....
A pair of cheap leg warmers worn underneath should do the trick. Should be some around for 10 or 15 quid I would think. Then you're set up for all weathers.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Underwear etc (which I am sure these could be classed as) are excempt from the Distance Selling Regs.

I would try contacting Assos directly but slim hope of anything. Could try eBay but maybe I am a bit strange I wouldn't fancy wearing someone elses Bibs. On a lighter note you could MTFU (surprised no one else has put that yet!)

amaferanga

Veteran
On my top I was wearing a long sleeved cycling top with a wind proof jacket over it.

You run cold then. No way would I need a l/s jersey and a windproof for 10 degrees. I actually find that I overdress compared to most of the folk I ride with, but even I wouldn't be wearing bibtights, l/s jersey and windproof jersey for that sort of temperature - I'd be sweating buckets. But then not even overshoes - odd.

yello

Assos customer service is, in my experience, exceptionally good. Write to them, explain the situation and you might find that they'll work something out for you.

I wouldn't mark the Assos kit down for this btw. It really does sound to me, as others have stated, that you run cold. Something to keep in mind.

You could look for silk liners (NOT stockings;) ) - they'd not be too bulky and would add warmth. I have a pair of Helly Hansen ones that I wear on the motorbike under my leather trou - they do the job on autumnal mornings.

Redvers

Very Interesting thread this, already covered most of the issues and misconceptions about cycle clothing.
Clothing company’s claims about both wicking and insulation can be over optimistic but Assos are usually pretty much on the mark, that’s what your paying for.

I would echo Yellos point about Assos’s customer service, they will move Mont Blanc to advise and assist. Also the well made point about the feet, keep your feet warm with some good overshoes and the rest will follow!

I’ve had the LL607 since they came out, I bought the unpadded version because I wanted the option of being able to wear different padded bib shorts or ¾ s underneath to meet different temperatures and conditions. I’ve found a combination of some budget dhb ¾ shorts, long thin socks with the Assos tights over the top works well down to about 3Degrees C in the Alps. Beyond that it’s the full winter tights!

Doseone

Guru
I think you need to look on the bright side here. You have purchased an excellent pair of tights, a real treat for yourself. I'm jealous!! OK they weren't quite warm enough on your ride, but a cheap pair of thermals underneath will sort that for you :thumbsup:

With regards to the claimed temperature range - I think you have to allow a degree of flexibility. Do the quoted figures include wind chill? Some people are just different, some can tolerate the cold better than others.

Are they comfy btw?

Top Bottom