Assos Bib Tights not what they claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

old bell

Just bought a pair of Assos bib tights for just under £200. They are advertised as made for temperatures from 6 - 12 deg C. This just what I wanted.

I wore them last Sunday for the first time, when it was a minimum of 10 deg C. I was cold. They were nothing like warm enough and I would hate to think what they would be like at 6 deg C.

The problem I have now is that the shop won't exchange tights that have been worn. They just suggest I wear additional clothing underneath the tights.

What should I do.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Have you tried cycling in them ?

OP
OP
O

old bell

I wore them last Sunday on a 30 mile ride. As I said the temperature was minimum of 10 deg C (around London)

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Shocking! That is a lot of money for something you believe it is not fit for the purpose. Have a look at this Consumer Rights article

Where did you get it from?

As example, I bought a pair of bib shorts and after 5 weeks I contacted the shop and explained I was unhappy with their quality and asked for a refund. I got the money back. I was so happy with the result and the service from the shop I ended up spending twice more with other bits and bobs. Now that is the first place I go when I need something.

potsy

Rambler
Trouble is someone else wearing those would find them too warm at 10C, it's more about your tolerance to cold weather I'd have thought.
Maybe buy another pair to go over them, you obviously have more money than sense to pay that much in the first place :whistle:

OP
OP
O

old bell

I bought them online from Rose Bikes in N. Ireland, although based in Germany.

I accept that differnt people have different tolerances to the cold, but if they are advertised as suitable for temperatures from 6 - 12 deg C, they should not be surprised if a small proportion of cyclists buying them find them too cold and be prepared to do someting about it. Also, because of the high cost of the clothing you would think you get a high quality of after care, which would appear not to be the case.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You can try the not fit for purpose route but I wouldn't hold out much hope, you may get somewhere via goodwill but that would be it. As others mention people vary in their own internal temperature control and these are subjective ratings. What's plenty warm enough for a young person with good circulation is probably going to feel flimsy and cold to someone older where the blood doesn't flow so well. As I associate Assos with performance stuff I'd have assumed they'd be on the thinner, cooler, side.

My advice, flog them as worn once, you'll probably lose 20-25% of the price, buy something warmer and chalk this one up to experience.

I have some experience of buying bike stuff only to end up reselling and chalking up another 'experience' :whistle: I try not to do the sums on this as it's depressing

OP
OP
O

old bell

I bought the Assos thermal bib tights LL607. I did consider the warmer ones which are advertised from 0 degs to 8 degs, but thought they would be too warm.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would write a polite explanatory letter/email to Assos directly and explain. I would expect a top end company to have good CS :smile: I can understand the retailer's stance, it's not them making the claims about the products they sell

gavintc

Guru
Seems like a personal problem to me. If you cannot cope with the cold, you should have bought extra thick tights. Personally, I find that once you have warmed up on the bike, you do not need thick tights - even when its down to freezing temps. You could always buy a 2nd pair and wear them both together.

amaferanga

Veteran
I'd say that 10 degrees Celsius is too warm for bibtights for most cyclists so I agree that the problem is perhaps with your tolerance of the cold as opposed to the bibtights. Out of interest, what were you wearing on your top half?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Feeling cold is, as many have suggested, a subjective area. Personally I haven't resorted to my 'winter' tights yet (Aldi - £15 I think) - so far I've just used 3/4 length bib shorts and I can't say that I've felt cold. That said - you've bought something and you're not happy with it and the company you bought them from excludes exchanges under their returns policy... are you sure about that? The Rose Bike website (www.rosebikes.co.uk) says "Right of Return... You are entitled to return goods by return shipment within one month. You are not obliged to give any reasons for doing so."

Top Bottom