Assos Bib Tights not what they claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slaav

Veteran
I think you need to look on the bright side here. You have purchased an excellent pair of tights, a real treat for yourself. I'm jealous!! OK they weren't quite warm enough on your ride, but a cheap pair of thermals underneath will sort that for you :thumbsup:

With regards to the claimed temperature range - I think you have to allow a degree of flexibility. Do the quoted figures include wind chill? Some people are just different, some can tolerate the cold better than others.

Are they comfy btw?

If they are XXL (cant remember...) then PM me.

I run soooo hot you cannot imagine. Popped out in my bibs and some tights over (Nike running tights) and was sweating like mid August.

I baulk at some gear as I just know when it says 10-24 or some such, wont be cool enough in Spring or Autumn. WOuld look at yours as proper winter wear - as above - email or contact ASSOS. That price and reputation comes at a price for them..... (as well as you)

Good luck

joolsybools

If you paid by credit card you get some sort of 'protection' direct from the credit card company on items that cost more than £100 (I think), not sure of the details but maybe someone else on here knows. It might be worth investigating.

vickster

Legendary Member
On what basis?
The product isn't proven to be faulty, just because someone may feel the cold more? Surely contacting Assos directly is the first step?

Jezston

Über Member
This time last year I would have been wearing thermals top and bottom, jacket and waterproof overtrousers, and been just about ok.

Now on my commute I'm wearing 3/4 shorts and a long sleeve jersey.

Does increased fitness increase ability to handle the cold?

Norm

No, it's just warmer than it was last year. :biggrin:

To further show the differences between people, in 10 degrees and I'd be wearing shirt and shorts, I've never worn anything other than polycotton walking trousers on my legs.

yello

To further show the differences between people, in 10 degrees and I'd be wearing shirt and shorts

I was going to remark something similar. Though I have been known to opt for long sleeved shirts when the sun is hot, but purely to avoid being crisped.

OP
OP
O

old bell

I have now written a polite email to Assos giving the details. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Slaav

Veteran
I have now written a polite email to Assos giving the details. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Do report back with any outcome. It will be interesting to see if they take customer service seriously..... :smile:

Fiona N

Veteran
...They are advertised as made for temperatures from 6 - 12 deg C. This just what I wanted.

... a minimum of 10 deg C. I was cold. ...

What should I do.

Ride harder :whistle:

After all Assos stuff is made for elite level folk who are happy to pay £200 for kit they can wear on 6 hour training rides on snow-covered Alps and the like ... :wacko:

Actually I'm not entirely joking here - as I'm getting older and slower I find I'm having to wear more stuff in cold weather. I used to be happy in a long-sleeved jersey and a gilet in -5C in Switzerland in the winters when I used to ride at lunchtimes on the mtb tracks in the snowy and icy woods (cold, still and dark :sad:). Now no chance I'd go out without a windproof jacket at least (and electronic footwarmers),

Fiona N

Veteran
I have some experience of buying bike stuff only to end up reselling and chalking up another 'experience' :whistle: I try not to do the sums on this as it's depressing

Me too - sold two brand new women-specific saddles on Ebay for <50% of their cost (wasn't allowed to advertise the link on here ;))

festival

Über Member
Buying on line has its advantages until it all goes wrong, but you cant beat building a rapport with your local quality bike shop for service.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Do report back with any outcome. It will be interesting to see if they take customer service seriously..... :smile:

I'd be interested to hear what Assos say too. If they decide to make some kind of gesture then fine but if they refuse on the grounds that that there is no defect of manufacture or design then I'm not sure that it should reflect negatively on them. The fact is that there is a subjective element in how we perceive temperature and the original poster seems to have a lower tolerance to cold than, well, than me - and to be honest I'm a bit of a wus. (On the other hand if they have the neck to charge that much for a pair of keks then it's hard to feel too much sympathy for them.)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
This time last year I would have been wearing thermals top and bottom, jacket and waterproof overtrousers, and been just about ok.

Now on my commute I'm wearing 3/4 shorts and a long sleeve jersey.

No, increased fitness usually means less body fat .Fat keeps you warm.

If shops accepted underwear for return chances are we would end up buying it carefully repackaged.

Slaav

Veteran
Well than at that price, I would expect a repalcement or substitution heavily discounted.

I had a suit a while ago that just didnt fit; PB tried and tried again and it became obvious, after paying for it that we needed to start again and keep that as a 'beer suit'. The replacement (from scratch) fitted perfectly; at roughly half proce (cost?)

All happy and almost a win/win.

Would have been nice to simple hand it back and get indignant but wouldn't have had a nother 'beer suit' - and I need a few :smile:

You pay and expect - if they dont provide ro perform - go elsewhere and tell everyone; provided that your gripe is justified!!!

Top Bottom