Assos shorts..........are they worth the money??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Reason for the question.............I am trying to 'up' my mileage and really need some help with the old sit bones.
I used to wear Funkier shorts...........they are good for the money but I needed better.
I went to Endura and managed a 70 miler OKish (my bum was quite pleased to finish :smile: ).
I am planning a 100 miler and am contemplating something even more comfy.
The Edura cost £65.00
Assos seem to START at £120.00ish.
I recently tried a pair of Pearl Izumi and (for me) they were not as comfy and I really don't want to make a £120.00 mistake.
Any thoughts??

ayceejay

Guru
Assos shorts have different pads so you should check that out, I find the older style better than the new so have a look at the Assos outlet. Personally I find the Sugoi as good as the Assos and cheaper too.

mattobrien

Guru
Short answer, yes.

I bought my first pair of Assos in 2012 and they are still going strong, where other, newer shorts are showing much more wear and tear. I have had a couple of pairs of Castelli free race aero bib shorts, which while retailing for c. £130 aren't a patch on the Assos.

I have recently bought another pair and have decided to only buy Assos shorts moving forwards, as while they cost more I believe they are better value. In this case I do believe that you get what you pay for.

No.

The "technology" (I hate that word because it has changed meaning) to make cycling padding is freely available, whether a company in China or an outfit in Switzerland makes the shorts. It is all the same material and they've all figured out how to weld the padding without creating seams. Some companies even weld the lycra seams, but that's another story. The result of this sameness is that once the shorts fit - an issue down to pattern and arse shape - they all offer equal comfort. Yes, some will have fancy rubbery seams and others will have nice red crosses etc etc, but there's no advantage to be had from perceived exclusive technology itself. So-called anti-bacterial or nano treatments all wash out within two washes and damage the environment. Don't bother.
It is interesting to do your own padding survey. Get into the habit of pinching any item of clothing with padding. Duvets, anoraks, down quilts, shorts padding etc etc. You'll soon notice that they are all of equal thickness under compression. In the olden days when the padding was chamois, some more expensive brands could afford to buy the best kid and only use the most consistent cut from a hide. Nowadays the roll of fabric is perfectly uniform and each pad is stamped and welded with perfection. It is all in the cut and the quality of the lycra. Some survive longer and don't go transparent after a zillion washes.

zizou

Veteran
I've spent a lot of money over the years "economising" on bib shorts rather than just sucking it up and getting the ones i know i get on with - in which case Assos leads the way closely followed by Rapha.

Actually if reluctant to spend £120+ then might be worth checking out Rapha and their new Core range, particularly if you can use one of the discount codes that are floating about. I got a pair for £75 and at that price they are decent value compared to the competition.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's wrong with the Endura you have? I find a pair of shorts comfortable for 100km is also ok for 100 miles. It's not my rear that finds the extra turns of the pedals hard going

adamhearn

Veteran
I don't think cost is a factor of how comfortable a piece of clothing may be. Get the shape and fit correct and most brands should be good for the miles. If you've got the cash then why not give them a go but just be open to the fact that you're buying a big brand name ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My view is (like @vickster ) that if the saddle/shorts combo is comfortable for 30 miles, then that's as good as it's going to get. I reckon the bum ache I get at the far end of 100 miles is just to be expected after sitting down on the saddle for so long. I'm sceptical that better/more expensive kit will help. Although I'm always willing to experiment, provided it doesn't cost too much.

All in my opinion, of course.

kipster

Guru
I find Assos very comfortable and have only bought their lower end bib shorts. I had an crash and ripped a pair, Assos repaired them free of charge.

I just found they fit me well, that was more important than the pad for me.

The pads on their newer shorts aren't stitched in at the sides which some people don't like.

They come with free chamois creme with purchases from their outlet store, if you like that sort of thing.

Not that you want to come off but I'm more willing to shell out for Rapha rather than Assos because of Rapha's repair service. That said, I got a voucher for Wiggle last Christmas and did buy a pair of Assos in their sale, used them for the LBL. Comfort wise I think I marginally prefer the Rapha but that because the Assos ones get right up my crack when I put them on :blush: Riding wise its hard to tell the difference, there both really comfy. However, over time Ive found the saddle and bike fit to be more important than the brand of shorts :wacko:

I find Assos very comfortable and have only bought their lower end bib shorts. I had an crash and ripped a pair, Assos repaired them free of charge.

I just found they fit me well, that was more important than the pad for me.

The pads on their newer shorts aren't stitched in at the sides which some people don't like.

They come with free chamois creme with purchases from their outlet store, if you like that sort of thing.
Didn't know Assos did a repair service; not that I want to come off but it gives me more confidence in wearing them :okay:

kipster

Guru
Didn't know Assos did a repair service; not that I want to come off but it gives me more confidence in wearing them :okay:

Their website says they will repair crash damage within a year of purchase, mine were over two years old and they were fine with repairing them.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You get what you pay for with bib shorts, I started with Endura, Then i switched to Castelli because i liked the way they look, and found them more comfortable than Endura, My other half has tried the Assos as well and she would not wear anything else, I did try some cheap ones once but never again. I will try her bib shorts when the weather warms up. The pad in the Assos has a completely different feel compared to the Endura and Castelli.

Crandoggler

Don't most high end shorts use Cytech pads? If so, it really doesn't matter what brand you buy. Sports pursuit are offering Rivelo shorts for £50. Not bad considering they use the high end pads found in other shorts that cost 2/3x that amount.

Top Bottom