Asthma - anyone using non-aerosol drugs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
As a kid I had Intal capsules in a Spinhaler for my asthma - it was a clever system; you got hard gelatin capsules that you put in a device that pierced the capsule and then span it around as you inhaled sharply - the rotation of the capsule meant the powdered drug was flung outwards and then you inhaled it. Ok, so the Spinhaler was plastic, but it lasted me my whole childhood, so it was pretty environmentally sustainable.

Now I have the standard blue and brown inhalers that are aerosols, but apparently they are terrible for the environment, because of the propellant and because for some reason you get a new plastic inhaler everytime instead of a metal cartridge refill - so I'd like to go back to something that, like the Spinhaler, is powered by my own breath.

Do any of use use such a system - I believe they are known as dry powder inhalers - and have any feedback? My brown one has pretty much run out so I need to go to get a prescription anyway.

Milzy

Guru
As a kid I had Intal capsules in a Spinhaler for my asthma - it was a clever system; you got hard gelatin capsules that you put in a device that pierced the capsule and then span it around as you inhaled sharply - the rotation of the capsule meant the powdered drug was flung outwards and then you inhaled it. Ok, so the Spinhaler was plastic, but it lasted me my whole childhood, so it was pretty environmentally sustainable.

Now I have the standard blue and brown inhalers that are aerosols, but apparently they are terrible for the environment, because of the propellant and because for some reason you get a new plastic inhaler everytime instead of a metal cartridge refill - so I'd like to go back to something that, like the Spinhaler, is powered by my own breath.

Do any of use use such a system - I believe they are known as dry powder inhalers - and have any feedback? My brown one has pretty much run out so I need to go to get a prescription anyway.
A bloke at work used the dry ones you speak of yet mine were aerosol. You should get them if you asked your doctor. Since cycling more frequently my asthma seems to have disappeared completely.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
A bloke at work used the dry ones you speak of yet mine were aerosol. You should get them if you asked your doctor. Since cycling more frequently my asthma seems to have disappeared completely.
That's excellent - unfortunately for me the more I cycle the more I get asthma - and the pollen makes it worse! I'm blaming the air pollution: it's got to the point where I feel a tiny bit wheezy just sitting still, sadly - and from the age of about 13 to 40 I didn't use anything for it.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Speak to your practice nurse they will know what options you have.
Funny enough NICE have new guidelines about environmental impact of inhalers.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...or-asthma-patient-decision-aid-pdf-6727144573
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47800415
Will ask Mrs 73 when she gets home some don't always work with some types.
It was it being in the news that made me think more about it tbh - I've always been low level bothered about the waste of the plastic inhaler part, but it hadn't occurred to me what a nightmare the propellant is - I'd assumed it was relatively ok - but it turns out that for the past four years I've been commuting I'd have been better off just going in the car on the days I've has to use my inhaler, which annoys me no end!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
DA304C8A-790A-4AD0-98DC-9E75B8F61E67.jpeg I used to have inhalors where you turned the base 1 click to the right and back again, the sucked as hard as you could.
No aerosol and they did the job. Looked like a short vibrator, as someone pointed out, when I dropped it on the railway platform once. Bit mortified as the label had long come off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
View attachment 466493 I used to have inhalors where you turned the base 1 click to the right and back again, the sucked as hard as you could.
No aerosol and they did the job. Looked like a short vibrator, as someone pointed out, when I dropped it on the railway platform once. Bit mortified as the label had long come off.
If I get one I shall be sure to take good care of it when at the railway station :-)

tom73

Guru
Mrs 73 says the one you had a kid is no longer made. As for the options it depends on how bad your asthma is to what you maybe able to have.
Most of the dry powder type are suitable but as to which it down to your condition and some are only used for COPD.
The turbo type also have added benefit that some are combined so no need for 2 inhalers.
She says best thing is book an asthma review with your practice nurse and go over the options as in the guide.

midlife

Guru
Looking back at my pharmacology days, the dose for dry powder inhalers was limited as bigger doses mde people cough a lot.....

Top Bottom