Asthma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
I've had mild asthma since 13. I find the first 30 mins are a bit wheezy, I take a couple of puffs on my Sabutamol blue pump and I'm good then for all day. 69 miles is my best with no issues.
Only time I am bad is with a cold/chest infection.
Riding has helped my lungs improve actually. I used to blow 300 on the breathing test, now I blow off the scale :smile:

Keep at it ;)

albion

Guru
http://www.wunderground.com/history...zip=00000&reqdb.magic=67&reqdb.wmo=03246&MR=1

I'm posting this, in that I have a major connection (instant breathing change proof) between humidity and breathing. I installed a high capacity dehumidifier September and the health changes have been quite dramatic since, not instant like with a lower power one installed September 2014, but quite dramatic none the less.

Last night was interesting in the 100% outdoor humidity co-coincided with some disturbed sleep, a first in a while.

It might be worth following for your local area too (change the word Gateshead?)

http://www.wunderground.com/history...zip=00000&reqdb.magic=67&reqdb.wmo=03246&MR=1

I'm posting this, in that I have a major connection (instant breathing change proof) between humidity and breathing. I installed a high capacity dehumidifier September and the health changes have been quite dramatic since, not instant like with a lower power one installed September 2014, but quite dramatic none the less.

Last night was interesting in the 100% outdoor humidity co-coincided with some disturbed sleep, a first in a while.

It might be worth following for your local area too (change the word Gateshead?)
I have very often found problems with sleep during the end of a long dry spell. The first night of rain will be hell with my asthma, then once all the pollution had been washed out of the air, I'll be much better again and start sleeping better. You can often see the build up of pollution in the air as a dry spell is happening.

geopat

Über Member
I have pretty mild asthma which on the whole does not bother me too much apart from wheezy breathing and the odd chest tightening. However I do get chest infections around 2 times per year and these take me off the bike for usually 2 weeks or so.

The chest infection I have currently is on its fourth week. Feel ok now but still a persistent cough and lack of energy. Apparently common in my area this year but an absolute nightmare with underlying asthma.

Anyone else had this recently?

albion

Guru
I have very often found problems with sleep during the end of a long dry spell...
Strangely I am maybe the opposite to you, as I observed late evening rain followed by early hours clear fresh air did wonders for my breathing.

Part of the reason was likely that the rain was vertical, being wind free, so indoor humidity never really got a boost upwards. The positive afterfeel was possibly that dusts/pollens etc got washed away.

albion

Guru
The chest infection I have currently is on its fourth week. Feel ok now but still a persistent cough and lack of energy. Apparently common in my area this year but an absolute nightmare with underlying..
Mine were regular when young but have only really had 1 in last 10 years, and that I found unusual.

My energy was always low though, boosted by the good feel factor, and away from any polluting environment, via long long cycle ride.

Strangely I am maybe the opposite to you, as I observed late evening rain followed by early hours clear fresh air did wonders for my breathing.

Part of the reason was likely that the rain was vertical, being wind free, so indoor humidity never really got a boost upwards. The positive afterfeel was possibly that dusts/pollens etc got washed away.
I think that is the same. We are just describing the passes differently. Rain after a long dry spell, then the following day and things are much better.

We both feel a lot better when the pollution in the air has been washed away. I know that pollution in the site is a major issue for me, as is pollen, but pollution more so.

I can't enter cities or large towns of my asthma is bad, or if the pollution levels are high. If you can see the pollution, I'm in trouble. I live rurally because I have less issues with pollen than pollution. I also avoid going into town as much as possible.

Got a proper diagnosis of adult onset asthma fairly recently, I think it was triggered or at least made worse by working in severe cold conditions (25 to 30 below). I got the blue inhaler and used that when I was toiling but a few months ago I monitored the peak flow for a couple of weeks and the GP gave me the brown preventer inhaler, twice a day, and I rarely need the blue one now, reasonably happy with the situation (as much as I can be anyway). Still getting in the miles, running, racing, TTs etc.

e-rider

crappy member
Got a proper diagnosis of adult onset asthma fairly recently, I think it was triggered or at least made worse by working in severe cold conditions (25 to 30 below). I got the blue inhaler and used that when I was toiling but a few months ago I monitored the peak flow for a couple of weeks and the GP gave me the brown preventer inhaler, twice a day, and I rarely need the blue one now, reasonably happy with the situation (as much as I can be anyway). Still getting in the miles, running, racing, TTs etc.
similar story for me, although I have duoresp spiromax not a brown inhaler, although it might be the same thing? I will not be winning the TdF any time soon but I still enjoy cycling and ride up to 200 miles in a day!

Top Bottom