Astronomy/Cosmology for the innocent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
This is excellent:

9781846144363.jpg

This looks very good (recently published):

9781471158377.jpg

And this is my favourite read so far on cosmological biology:

9780141037783.jpg

This got me into space sciences all those years ago when I was 11 (if only I had paid more attention in maths at school I could be working in physics or cosmology now....), but if you can get a copy (out of print) it's a very entertaining read travelling from our moon to distant quasars and early galaxies on the edge of the known universe (it's a farking long way!):

519Z-BXAM4L._SX376_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And last but no means least:

9780099289920.jpg

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

My point is if you do it at university for example you go to a lecture and it's presented as Goldstone's Theorem :laugh:. I've read a lot of popular science books and think (already mentioned in some of the books on this thread) it is presented better in popular science books (if you spot it) - various analogies and then the pac man one.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I like this quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, on why the population of the universe is zero:
None. Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is as close to zero as makes no odds, therefore we can round the average population of the Universe to zero, and so the total population must be zero.
So, feel free to get a book on the universe, but just remember that you don't really exist. :laugh:

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for the recommendations, particularly to Hitch for putting so much effort in.

I'm going to go with Prof Pointy's recommendation at first,with Marin's duly logged (it is bloody expensive!) and with Hitch's also logged.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks for the recommendations, particularly to Hitch for putting so much effort in.

I'm going to go with Prof Pointy's recommendation at first,with Marin's duly logged (it is bloody expensive!) and with Hitch's also logged.

It is disappointingly expensive. Hmmm not sure why that is these days. Wonder whether the price has got jacked up with OU cuts.

There are loads of really good popular science books. I would recommend one of Paul Davies's other ones in particular, just it's not about Cosmology per se, many of the above books aren't. For example The Hidden Reality by Briane Greene is a book more about Cosmology than his others, but I haven't read it. That's not to put you off, the others are good books. Depends which direction you are coming from you were saying stars/galaxies structure with cosmology and that was why I recommended the OU book as half is on galaxies and half on cosmology.

Anne makes a good suggestion above. I've known a few people to do MOOCs (not necessarily through FutureLearn) on the area.

Top Bottom