Astronomy/Cosmology for the innocent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks for the recommendations, particularly to Hitch for putting so much effort in.

I'm going to go with Prof Pointy's recommendation at first,with Marin's duly logged (it is bloody expensive!) and with Hitch's also logged.
Once you've nailed the universe, its contents and its size. Try tackling this one.

What IS gravity?

That'll really mess you up.

Last edited:
I hate it break to everyone but the entire universe has been mapped and we know exactly how large it is and it's position. In a spoiler tag as the scale is mindblowing:

london1.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For a bit of nicely pitched viewing try the documentaries of Jim Al-khalili, accessable but a lot more grown up than the whistful musings of Brian Cox.

Saw that last night and it was indeex excellent. Whilst I sort of knew much of the story it was still a delight and included snippets I'd not previously known or had forgotton. I think the Penzias and Wilson discovery of the cosmic background radiation to be amongst the most amazing result in all science. I can just imagine how they felt when they realised what they had actually stumbled across.

Jim AK is my favourite science broadcaster, though Cox is also good in fairness.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I love the stars, I go out on motorbike (with telescope) into the Dales just to see them away from light pollution. I can sit and look for hours. :smile: But I am such a dunce I can't grasp astronomy, I keep going back to my "Astronomy for dummies" book that I bought a decade or more ago, but I still can't get past stuff like sidereal days without my head hurting, that in turn, brings back memories of my dad getting mad with me whilst trying to explain the dark side of the moon with an apple and an orange. :sad:

I am currently reading "An astronomer's tales - Life under the stars"

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
This is awesome news. I really hope we do discover life on Enceladus before i snuff it, this will change everything!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39592059

sackville d

Veteran
OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Well here`s one to get you thinking.In this image of part of the Andromeda Galaxy there are in the region of 100,000,000 stars
The stars that look like stars are in our galaxy
The stars in the Andromeda Galaxy look like diffuse light but as you zoom in they become clearly identifiable as individual stars.
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1502a/zoomable/
It's the scale of it that I find hard to visualise: 100,000,000 stars in just one part of one galaxy!!! Quite staggering really.

Top Bottom