ASZ seem to small

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

Don't know if its just me being dim or not very skilled but are some ASZs too small.

There are some in my town that if you chose to filter up the cycle lane into the ASZ the only way of getting into the primary position (or right turn position) is to drag your bike side ways or be able to turn literally on a sixpence. They are literally not much longer than a cycle. If you don't do either of these you just end up by the curb on the extreme left.

I should add that I don't filter up to ASZs but hold the primary position behind the vehicle ahead of me as I don't tend to encounter large traffic ques. If one day I did need to filter up for some reason I'm not sure what I would do.

Any advice?

Norm

As a default (and recognising it might be considered illegal), I enter them from the right as I filter on the right. I wouldn't (again, generalising) overtake the first few cars in a queue on the left.

HovR

Über Member
The only real advice is either A) Don't filter up to the boxes that you know are small, or B) Practice low speed control so you can turn on a sixpence.

This low speed control (low as in, too low to recognize on your cycle computer) is really beneficial when commuting in heavy traffic to save you having to unclip/put a foot down in certain situations, as well as being useful in mountain biking.

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

Norm, I tend to agree with your right hand filtering as filtering on the left can be risky anyway, but even that leaves you stuck on the right side of the small ASZs, only useful if you're turning right may be. I'm finding it hard to justify filtering up to an ASZ

Top Bottom