At last a challenge to Big Pat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Daniel Baal, on the UCI management committee, has come out in favour of Cookson - http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Baal-il-faut-un-homme-neuf/404265 saying it needs a new man to restore credibility and BC has consensual style.

thom

____
Daniel Baal, on the UCI management committee, has come out in favour of Cookson - http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Baal-il-faut-un-homme-neuf/404265 saying it needs a new man to restore credibility and BC has consensual style.
Vaughters tweeted something a day or so ago in Spanish along the lines of "the South Americans are holding the cleaver - they know where they should chop" but since i don't speak spanish and i translated it myself, there may be errors in that...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I haven't read but my immediate thought was, is he leaving the sinking ship: I'll have to read it now to see.
Yes, he's definitely breaking ranks. What worries me is that if PmcQ wins, there will be a continued period of acrimony - committee ructions, potential Makarov legal challenge, etc - and cycling will continue publicly dragging itself through the mire.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was wondering about this aspect myself recently but forgot to ask the cognoscenti on here!
Can anybody explain why the Asian and African federations support Phat? Is it that they don't trust Cookson to support global cycling, financial reasons above suspicion (or suspicious), misplaced loyalty? It seems perverse given that most people even inside cycling agree that PatM is past his sell-by date.

resal

Veteran
We need oldroadman to give us the latest on what is going on, but he is probably quite busy this week.

OP
OP
B

BJH

Über Member
That point in whether he is actually nominated or not does seem to have gone very quiet considering we are on the day before the vote.

In terms of counting votes said to be in hand I would never bank on that until the vote is actually cast.

In the Olympics, it certainly seems like its very easy to buy votes from Africa, South America and the Caribean countries. Maybe promises to hold events in their countries is a good influencers and it's also easy to imagine that votes would be cheaper to buy in manioc these countries. Personally, I believe that when the chief pig allows a few ofthe little piggies to get their snouts in the trough too, the little ones will prefer that big piggy to anew one who might just stop them in future.

I prefer to see the vote before I believe this is over because anything is possible in an organisation like the UCI.

thom

____
Come on Brian - you can do it !

Edit : this cyclingnews story seems to be the most thorough explanation of today's process.
It seems that first the full congress get to vote by simple majority as to whether McQuaid's interpretation of being nominated by a federation where he is an honorary member, is to be accepted or not. (If so, expect legal challenges further down the line via Makarov & CAS if Cookson doesn't win).
Then the 42 delegates vote as to the constitutional amendments that would allow McQuaid's nomination, requiring 2/3 majority to pass, needing 28 votes in favour though the 14 European delegates have pledged to vote against this.
After all that, there might be an election...

Cylingnews live tweeting the process : https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed
Congress is debating and voting on the validity of McQuaid's nomination right now

Last edited:

thom

____
The constitutional amendments will not apply - perhaps a moot point in that McQuaid was unlikely to have received a 2/3 majority from the 42 delegates.
I think what has just happened is that the full congress has voted against allowing the 42 delegates to vote on amending the constitution which would have allowed McQuaid's candidacy via nomination by 2 federations where he is not a member.

So I think McQuaid can still be in the race if congress votes to allow his nomination from federations where he was not resident but is a member, perhaps on an honorary basis.

That said, the nomination process has started and Cookson is making his pitch and there will only be a congressional vote on the validity of McQuaid's nomination after the pitches...

Last edited:

thom

____
Wowsers - the Swiss nomination is being argued as still standing because it was withdrawn after the deadline for nominations passed....

Wowsers - the Swiss nomination is being argued as still standing because it was withdrawn after the deadline for nominations passed....
Well they already said that under Swiss law belonging to multiple federations is possible. It looks like Phat may get his foot in the door, which is not entirely unexpected, I just rather hoped he wouldn't.

Top Bottom