At last a challenge to Big Pat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not sure Cookson will win at all. There have just been two new ammendments proposed for the next UCI Management Committee meeting by Barbados and Turkey to the effect that the incumbent President should always be allowed to stand, of course applying immediately (effectively in retrospect). This is clearly Pat making sure he gets on the ballot despite the imminent failure of his Malaysian / Thai-backed nomination. If he gets on the the ballot you better believe that enough money and promises will be rapidly exchanged to make this far from a sure thing...

This month's Cycling+ says Ladbrokes are quoting Cookson at 12:1 on.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The US federation has announced it will back Cookson, so that's Europe, the US, Australia, Canada... this will depend on how many African, Latin American and Asian nations believe McQuaid's promises to them.

thom

____
The US federation has announced it will back Cookson, so that's Europe, the US, Australia, Canada... this will depend on how many African, Latin American and Asian nations believe McQuaid's promises to them.
17 votes to Cookson then - 22 the presidential target.

I cannot find a breakdown of who the other delegates are. These numbers may already be enough to scupper McQuaid though - he needs a 66% majority vote for the proposals to pass that facilitate his nomination - it just depends on whether some of the Cookson voting federations see it beneficial to see a debate take place within the meeting.

Article 36 of the UCI constitution
1. Members shall exercise their voting rights through the agency of voting delegates appointed
among each continental confederation.Each delegate must be a member of a federation of the
continental confederation concerned.
2. The total number of voting delegates shall be 42 distributed among continental confederations
as follows:
Africa: 7 delegates
America: 9 delegates
Asia: 9 delegates
Europe: 14 delegates
Oceania: 3 delegates
3. Each voting delegate shall have one vote.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Which one ?
All of them! :laugh:
Did I misspell "cheek" as in "impertinent" lol?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Oh, you really haven't read any of this thead, have you! Pat McQuaid, president of cycling's misruling body, the UCI, is standing for re-election with Brian Cookson standing against him.
Of course I haven't read the thread, apart from saying to myself at seeing the title "they better not be talking about me, them in the racing forum" ^_^

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Excellent 'opinion' piece by Vaughters - basically telling all on his interactions with McQuaid (and Verbruggen, who he argues was really running the whole show behind the scenes - listen to the phone message left by Verbruggen for Vaughters, which makes him sound like The Godfather). Choice quote:

"Is Pat a horrible person? No, I don’t think so. Is he corrupt? I don’t know. What I can conclude from my five years of interacting with him is that he is not an effective leader: He chooses his own opinion over expertise. He chooses special interests over the best way forward. He makes public remarks without thought of the impact or meaning. He does not delegate effectively and leaves his staff little room to grow and lead. While he is charismatic, he is not an effective communicator. He consistently takes the advice of Hein Verbruggen and UCI attorney Phillipe Verbiest over his own good conscience. These are all unacceptable for the president of the UCI."

On the other hand, on Cookson:

"Brian does his work, organizes and motivates the people he thinks will be best to accomplish the task, and then lets them get on with it. He objectively uses the best resources he has to solve a problem in the best way possible, whether he personally benefits from the solution or not. He is neither self-involved nor terribly interested in the glad handing and small talk of politics. However, through subtle encouragement, he manages people. He leads the collective of talented people under him to find the best way forward."

Top Bottom