At last a challenge to Big Pat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
An utter dickhead who continues to wriggle like snake.
They are not heroes, they are scumbags. All they have done is damage the sport."
He could have been talking about himself
Aye - totally agree.
On the up side, that report seems to suggest the Swiss nomination has a real chance of falling away even before the legal challenge. I've seen other reports that the Malaysian proposal is in contravention to UCI rules in terms of when it was submitted (although it may take a legal challenge to establish this). So there seems a good chance that Pat will not actually be nominated come voting day.

Aye - totally agree.
On the up side, that report seems to suggest the Swiss nomination has a real chance of falling away even before the legal challenge. I've seen other reports that the Malaysian proposal is in contravention to UCI rules in terms of when it was submitted (although it may take a legal challenge to establish this). So there seems a good chance that Pat will not actually be nominated come voting day.

I'm beginning to think that won't be the end of him though.

Noodley

I think we'd all agree that pro cycling has got better over the last few years in terms of doping and reaching out to new regions/countries (and maybe even to a lesser degree in getting more focus on women's cycling?). And this has taken place with Pat at the helm.

Maybe he's not the nobber we all think he is?

J1780

I think we'd all agree that pro cycling has got better over the last few years in terms of doping and reaching out to new regions/countries (and maybe even to a lesser degree in getting more focus on women's cycling?). And this has taken place with Pat at the helm.

I would agree with that but I'm not so sure about the clamp down on doping. I think the media had a big say in that especially after the Landis debacle that began in 2006. The flood of confessions and riders ''getting caught'' after was too much to ignore/brush under the carpet. I think all sports need a hero that make that sport a household name. It would appear that in cycling the hero was protected for a long time by the powers that be. Pat may not have been at the helm for most of that but he was up there. The UCI is political so nothing changes fast you're probably talking years instead of weeks and months but I think people are generally of the belief that Pat didn't do enough even in the face of anecdotal evidence.
Also I think it could be argued that womens cycling was focused on in the UK in particular becasue of the success of the likes of Nicole Cook and Victoria Pendleton.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Also I think it could be argued that womens cycling was focused on in the UK in particular becasue of the success of the likes of Nicole Cook and Victoria Pendleton.

And it would be hard to attribute the renaissance in UK's womens' cycling to anything the UCI has done. Nicole Cooke's parting shots were largely about the corrosive effect of the doping culture.

One thing that the UCI has developed, though, is a wider interest in competitive cycling outside Europe, notably Africa and Asia, but that looks more like a strategic attempt to widen McQuaid's power base now that European support has begun to evaporate, rather than any desire to globalise the sport per se. His naughty nominations do suggest that it's driven by self-interest and not genuine interest. He's also used his ''internationalism'' as a way to attack Cookson as being parochial for his BC focus.

thom

____

Yes, those are the things McQuaid will lay claim to having achieved.

People will judge for themselves whether he pushed the doping progress enough himself and whether cycling's tainted past (that he did nothing about) has been the root cause for the financial problems that face so much of the traditional racing circuit. Cycling has lost something of it's lustre commercially (outside the UK) due to neglect of it's integrity - set beside this point of view, the benefits of globalisation have certainly been deleveraged.

J1780

The mind boggles. Unless it's Big Pat under a pseudonym.

You could be onto something there! As for the Sean Kelly endorsement.....hmmm much as I like his commentary.....when he speaks and find his insight invaluable I have to say that Kelly always held his cards close to his chest and is noticeably quiet on doping but thats more a eurosport UK thing really or at least it was I no longer have that particular channel.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
The mind boggles. Unless it's Big Pat under a pseudonym.
Nice bit on the blog's "About" page:
Laurens van Rooijen ([punter) says:
August 1, 2013 at 2:00 pm
One simple question: Who is “we”?
Who is responsible for what is written and published on this website?
For the sake of transparency and accountability, I’m sure I am not the only one who would like to know. So would you min being open about this matter? After all, I’m sure you have nothing to hide and only want the best for cycling as such.
Thanks in advance for providing any kind of imprint.
... edit ...
mcquaidvscookson (the blogger) says:
August 3, 2013 at 10:06 am
You might examine a little more of cycling’s history, especially those central to Cookson’s campaign. They have a history of dubious activities including lies, illegalities, and corruption. Actions speak louder than words.
gerardvroomen says:
August 8, 2013 at 9:57 am
So who is we? You certainly share with McQuaid the inability to answer simple questions in a straightforward manner.

oldroadman

Veteran
The problem McQuaid has is that he is linked to Verbruggen,( the man who said "never, never, never" about LA doping!), under his watch the UCI accepted "donations" from LA, allegations of backdated TUEs it could go on... Whatever good some people claim he has done, and there probably are some positive contributions, on balance he is poorly regarded by all but his friends in the East and Africa, who will be looking forward to some new spurioous "world tour" events if he gets back in.
What you get with Cookson is straight talking and (so far as I can understand) honest answers.
Not a McQuaid speciality, allegedly.

Top Bottom