At last a challenge to Big Pat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
“After having carefully considered the arguments of the claimants in the arbitration brought against Swiss Cycling’s Decision of 13 May 2013 to nominate Mr. Pat McQuaid for UCI Presidential election, a majority of the Board’s member decided, in light of the legal issues regarding the validity of said Decision and of the general interest of Swiss Cycling, to (i) revoke the Decision of 13 May 2013 and (ii) to withdraw Swiss Cycling’s nomination of Mr. Pat McQuaid for (re)election as UCI President''

With half my family being Swiss, I can only breathe a sigh of relief. Now McRaker has pretty much lost Europe, I now anticipate an Antarctic Cycling Federation nomination.

thom

____
“After having carefully considered the arguments of the claimants in the arbitration brought against Swiss Cycling’s Decision of 13 May 2013 to nominate Mr. Pat McQuaid for UCI Presidential election, a majority of the Board’s member decided, in light of the legal issues regarding the validity of said Decision and of the general interest of Swiss Cycling, to (i) revoke the Decision of 13 May 2013 and (ii) to withdraw Swiss Cycling’s nomination of Mr. Pat McQuaid for (re)election as UCI President''
Seems like the general interest of Swiss cycling is financial - it is not optimal that this decision seems made because the federation was low on funds but then again, had their decision been more consensual then there would not have been this problem. Ironic also that McQuaid & Verbruggen frequently used Swiss courts in underhand ways and now is perhaps the victim of it in a deeply embarrassing way; all they that take the sword shall perish by the sword...

There was legal advice issued last night by a Swiss law firm that the proposal for the rule changes (that would facilitate McQuaid's nomination via Thailand & Morocco), is legitimate, so if that resists legal challenge and then is voted on and accepted, McQuaid may still be in the game. The thing is, I think the rule change would require a 2/3 majority so McQuaid now has to get not 50% of he federations on side but a good few more.

OP
OP
B

BJH

Über Member
Rejection from your country of birth and your country of residence and still you wont go?????

that's got to be one heck of a trough you have your nose in to keep trying to hold on in the face of such humiliation.

If you love it, let it go.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Muckwade's reaction to news his nomination wasn't going through:

"As far as I'm concerned it's complete bullshit. I know there's a hearing on Thursday. I've had communication from the Swiss federation and it's going ahead. It's [a] scandalous report from someone and Newstalk has picked up on it. It's all the usual culprits and they're talking about it on Twitter.":laugh:

It reminds me of the British Labour Party in the 1980s: a leadership desperate for control but hamstrung by 'old-fashioned' democratic procedures. Kinnock and Blair sorted that out by ripping up the rule book and writing their own, getting rid of most of the membership in the process.

Unlike that pair, Muckwade/McRaker (can't decide which I like more) has clearly not got his post-office sinecures nailed down. He's fighting to keep the multi-millionaire lifestyle which the IOC and UCI fund imho.

oldroadman

Veteran
New job? Should suit admirably. A place where his UCI presidential style must just fit! :sad:
On your bikes! Turkmenistan president orders entire nation to saddle up for national cycling day

Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow has reportedly ordered all citizens to buy bikes

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Russia's Makarov has stopped pretending and has come out publically in favour of Cookson now. This one was hardly a secret though, so it won't make much difference.

oldroadman

Veteran
To us "mainlanders", there isn't much difference between British and Irish ;)

Not something you would want to say to a protestant "loyalist" Ulsterman. You may find yourself corrected!

Looks like it could be Europe for Cookson, Asia for McQuaid, US (and maybe americas generally) for Cookson, Australia/NZ etc for Cookson, and Africans your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine. From experience, the last lot are eminently open to being persuaded by whatever means available, allegedly.
The election - if it happens, see the news about CAS maybe being asked to rule on the interesting nominations for McQ - may be closer than first thought.
I recall McQ said he wanted a clean campaign, I understand he has other jokes available.

Top Bottom