At what point can I put my own name on the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
You could use magnetic fridge letters? Wouldn't work on carbon or ally frames though...

Gary E

Veteran
Where do you get the transfers made up?
Can't remember exactly which seller but loads of people on eBay do them. Take the advice of the guy in this link though and don't go for the cheap ones. These are really nice and look like they've always been part of the bike.

I first saw them on a guy's bike and because I didn't know his name I just assumed it was the model of the bike :laugh:

Gary E

Veteran
Oh and this guy will happily split your order for a mixture of black and white lettering so that you can choose the one that stands out best if you have more than one bike.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
If you removed the legitimate brand name' Hawk' and wrote 'Rickshaw Phil' in its place the manufacturer would probably sue you for a million baht, but if you replaced the first T of the bike's name with a C and the first K with a P then they'd probably let you get away with it.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If you removed the legitimate brand name' Hawk' and wrote 'Rickshaw Phil' in its place the manufacturer would probably sue you for a million baht, but if you replaced the first T of the bike's name with a C and the first K with a P then they'd probably let you get away with it.
Interesting thought. To be honest though, I suspect that altering the name in the way you suggest would be more likely to get me sued than if I removed the branding and put my own on.:tongue:

matthat

Über Member
I purchased this a couple of yrs ago! I was split between this and another bike which I cannot remember the name of! But the name on the cross bar of this sadly sold it to me as I couldn't resist having my own named bike!!

Attachments

• IMAG1012.jpg
    IMAG1012.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 37

Ningishzidda

In 2002, I rescued a Raleigh '50' boys racer of the tip. It was 500A tyre size, 5 block and made of heavy Hi-ten.
I sprayed it to be a USPS Trek replica for my nine year old son.
No-one came knocking at my door wanting copyright royalties. Raleigh or Trek.

Just ordered a set of "my name" tags for my bikes (thanks for the links! ^_^) . I just figure having a "personalised bike" will make it slightly less attractive to a thief and after just having one stolen I'm trying to reduce the risk as much as I can going forward. £15 is a small price to pay!

Chris S

Legendary Member
You can put your name on a bike at any point - it's called badge-engineering. I know for a fact identical bikes are sold under the Dunlop and Reebok name.

Top Bottom