At what point do you "publish" a vid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I got cut up on a RAB approach a couple of days ago.
Nothing life threatening, I had to brake hard to avoid being clumped by his car, and I shouted at the driver but that was about it. (I even managed not to swear :rofl: )

Is it worth uploading with his reg number as the title? is he likely to see it if he ever Googled his reg number?
Or, should I just delete it and forget it.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Depends on how you feel Some see the publishing of videos as educational..others may see it and start to wonder if their bad driving would be videoed!

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's up to you really. I don't think the question is over posting it to CC or youtube though, the question is whether you feel you want to take the issue further in which case you should send the footage off to the police (not sure if RoadSafe covers Kent but it should be easy to find out)

I've noticed there are two distinct camps on CC, one group do post videos either to share their experience or to gain advice, the other group seems to feel that sharing videos is a bit of a waste of time on here.

I've posted a couple of videos on here that have attracted a lot of useful advice and some criticism (both of the posting and of my cycling! :o))

After chatting to some other CCers at the weekend, I'll probably post very few videos on here from now on but I will still be videoing my commute and forwarding dangerous/illegal behaviour to Roadsafe (for example the guy who went screaming past me on the wrong side of a traffic island this morning! :rofl:)

Anyway t'is up to you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Panter said:
Nothing life threatening, I had to brake hard to avoid being clumped by his car, and I shouted at the driver but that was about it. (I even managed not to swear :o) )

Is it worth uploading with his reg number as the title? is he likely to see it if he ever Googled his reg number?

Publish it and then prepare yourself for the 4 pages of discussion on whether you were in primary or not :rofl:

BSRU

A Human Being
Panter said:
Nothing life threatening, I had to brake hard to avoid being clumped by his car, and I shouted at the driver but that was about it. (I even managed not to swear :rofl: )

If you upload the video, it should be on the premise that the driver will probably never see it and the only people in general who will watch it are people who upload similar videos and trolls, anything else is a bonus.

It is always worth checking to see if they were driving with valid tax, the Police/DVLA are interested in that sort of reporting.

jimboalee

Publish the vid if...

YOUR identity is absolutely safe.

You will NEVER cross paths with the offending party again.

Shaming people ( you don't know ) in the public domain is a dangerous game.

The subject of your vid might be a friend or relative of the local gangland thug. You will be putting other cyclists in the area to risk of reprisals against any 'c**t' on a bike.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Panter said:
Nothing life threatening, I had to brake hard to avoid being clumped by his car, and I shouted at the driver but that was about it. (I even managed not to swear :sad: )

glad you were ok and managed to use your own skill and awareness to avert a nasty incident!

but, this does sound like a candidate for the bin in my opinion, as it happens pretty often and is better to forget than keep reminding yourself (Hobbes Choice once told me that posting vids just helps to remind you of it and makes your anxiety and anger worse)...move on, its best for you in the long run

Origamist

Legendary Member
If I'm not going to report an incident, I don't upload it if it involves poor driving.

So far, I've only reported one piece of bad bus driving (and it did not happen to me) to TFL.

gavintc

Guru
There are some who post a little too readily in my opinion. I suspect that having bought the camera, they are 'looking' for an incident to post and any suitable slightly close pass will suffice. In my opinion, if every overtake is posted and reported to the police, it will simply reduce the effect of the more serious incidents. The crying wolf analogy is appropriate here.

perplexed

Guru
gavintc said:
There are some who post a little too readily in my opinion. I suspect that having bought the camera, they are 'looking' for an incident to post and any suitable slightly close pass will suffice. In my opinion, if every overtake is posted and reported to the police, it will simply reduce the effect of the more serious incidents. The crying wolf analogy is appropriate here.

I'm with you on that one. Some of the videos make me say to myself "what's the fuss about?".

The serious stuff then gets lots amongst the mearly irritating.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have camera, must you tube.. :sad:

perplexed said:
I'm with you on that one. Some of the videos make me say to myself "what's the fuss about?".

The serious stuff then gets lots amongst the mearly irritating.

gavintc said:
I agree with you there. In defence of the poster though I found it tends to distort things like overtakes; the fisheye lens makes it seem like objects to the front are closer and those to the side are further away and sometimes makes things look insignificant. I wonder sometimes why after review that folk still post these. Hopefully I haven't ever posted one of these my self :sad:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for the advice all, it's invaluable as ever :tongue:
I won't put it on Youtube, it's very boring and was really an annoyance rather than something too serious and a result of (IMO) pure stupidity rather than deliberate malice.

I'll look at it again and apraise my own positioning, it may be that I wasn't taking a dominant enough position although I'm pretty sure I was.
If I have my doubts, I'll put it on here for others opinions.

jimboalee said:
Publish the vid if...

YOUR identity is absolutely safe.

You will NEVER cross paths with the offending party again.

Shaming people ( you don't know ) in the public domain is a dangerous game.

The subject of your vid might be a friend or relative of the local gangland thug. You will be putting other cyclists in the area to risk of reprisals against any 'c**t' on a bike.

Don't do anything else the Mafia will come for you!

Because not doing anything - fixes everything.

Top Bottom