At what point should you replace SPD pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
My cleats and shoes and pedals have far outlasted my legs ankles and feet )

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I get through cleats because there's a walk over granite setts from the bike shed into work. The pedals last for ever with a very occasional rebuild. I have only seen one ever die due to water ingress and rust, and that was a Dura-Ace PD-9000 with a totally different axle arrangement.

si_c

Guru
I've had to replace one set of pedals after 20k km - I had smashed the endcap repeatedly on the left side and could no longer get the pedal off the spindle to service it and the bearings were very rough after a hard winters commuting.

As mentioned repeatedly above if the bearings are running smoothly you should expect to replace the pedals around the heat death of the universe. I tend to replace cleats at the same time as pedals as I like a nice new cleat on a new shoe. I have a jar full of old cleats and bolts, they are all perfectly serviceable.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I first bought some SPDs in the late 90s. Recently transferred them to my 'cross bike because they were less rusty than the ones fitted to that.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
On my touring bike 45,437 miles todate spds still going strong

Landsurfer

Veteran
I've just replaced a pair at about 6000 miles. Shimano M520, Creaking from the BB so sprayed some WD40 on the pedals and shoe plates ... still creaking .... so BB or pedals .... changed pedals and creaking disappeared. I've got the tools to strip, clean and rebuild them so i'll give that a go before binning them.

Top Bottom