At what point should you replace SPD pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Had my SPD pedals for about a year now, done about 6,000 miles on them. They still work fine as far as I can tell, although they are a tad rusty. How long do SPD pedals last and at what point should you be thinking about replacing them?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never worn out a set yet. They're fully serviceable, so if looked after it'd be pretty hard to nack them.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
One of my sets is on nearly 10,000 miles, bit rusty in places but still work fine. The bearings can be removed and cleaned/re-greased with a simple tool, that and the occasional bit of oil on the springs they should last years.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There's not very much to go wrong with a pair of SPDs. I imagine that eventually the bit that engages with the cleats will get worn out but that will probably take a very long time. I'm still using a pair that has done well over 20,000 miles. I don't think I've even waved a drop of oil at them but I don't do much muddy stuff.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I was until very recently still using a pair of XT SPD pedals from 1990. They are first generation and have had, it is fair to say, a very hard life. I regreased them regularly and painstakingly replace the loose (and tiny) bearings a few times.

They are in my spares box. I have just grown to prefer the extra float offered by Time pedals. Older pedals seem very well made.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I guess the cleats wear out though? How long do cleats last?
About as long as a pair of SPD trainer-like shoes, about 10-15 thousand miles in my case. The pointy bit on the front tends to get very thin, but that's probably got a lot to do with how deeply recessed the cleats are in the shoe.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see Ian's post. I tend to wear my trainer/SPDs pretty much all the time so the wear is probably largely due to walking and other non-bike use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom