ATC5K -first impression

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
You may recall that my one month old Trek 7200 was written off in May as was a new jersey, new helmet and my ATC2K. I was going to replace it with the new ATC3K with its 4GB capacity but I decided to wait for the ATC5K. It arrived today. I’m glad I waited!
The main differences between the ATC3K and the ATC5K are a small 1.5 inch colour LCD display, remote control and a better arrangement of switches. I found the ATC’s switches a bit fiddly. There are three switches below the rear LCD display – on/off, menu & confirm and two on the top – video mode and still mode. The screen hinges down to reveal the battery compartment, memory card slot and USB port.
One problem that I had with the 2K has now been resolved - alignment, I was either too high, too low and leaning one way or the other. No such problems with 5K – turn the unit on, look at the screen and adjust! I did have it on the handlebars for a tryout but I think it may be better on the helmet – I’ll sit on the bike in my normal cycling position and get Mrs Hippo to do the adjusting.
I have not tried the remote control out yet, neither have I tried it in web cam mode.
I know you can get better systems but they are more expensive. It suits my purpose and is not too expensive.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH0LFIgqDkQ

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds and looks good, but the video editing is just downright bizarre and needs to be looked at again to make it palpable.

I see they have added a new feature to the camera that stops filming if it thinks there is going to be an incident....:biggrin:;)

I changed away from the ATC 2000 because it wasn't so good at filming at night time. It would be interesting to see if there is any improvement with this model.

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
I see they have added a new feature to the camera that stops filming if it thinks there is going to be an incident....;):biggrin:

I changed away from the ATC 2000 because it wasn't so good at filming at night time. It would be interesting to see if there is any improvement with this model.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. He seems to have deliberately chopped out all the bits where he has jumped reds, gone up on the pavements, scraped down some poor souls wing, screamed obscenities at elderly pedestrians and other errant behaviours.

As User says the actioncam is just a camera and requires a recorder i.e. a camcorder, or an Archos etc to be attached to it.

yenrod

On Play.com you can get a 4gb card Sandisk too SDHC - for a tenner !

Compared to 25 nicker on the oregon site ! :biggrin:

I'd also like to know whats the maximum time you can record for on this !

OP
OP
mr_hippo

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
domtyler - it was a quick auto edit on Windows Movie Maker.
magnatom - can't comment on night filming as I don't go out at night.
jadad - no loop mode
yorkshiregoth - feels about the same weight
yenrod - 4GB: 120 minutes with 640 X 480 pixels and 215 minutes with 320 X 240 pixels

Tynan

Veteran
can someone post a pic of this 5k on a helmet or handlebar, it looks good but I'm suspecting it'll be as bulky as the previous versions

Top Bottom