Athlete dies at the Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
It just goes to show that even in the hands of experts high speed sporting events can end in tragedy. This applies to cycling and all motor sports as well as downhill sports on the ski slopes. However having said that it is sad to see a young life ending in this way!!!

bauldbairn

This is a very sad story and an unfortunate accident.:smile:

I do think the games should go ahead though. There are very,very dangerous/fast event's in the Winter Olympics inevitably there will be injuries(even fatalities in them).

My thoughts are with this young mans family and friends/team mates and the other Winter Olympians at this sad time.

I'm sure the IOC will pay a fitting tribute to Nodar Kumaritashvili during the games.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and how I wish Google would do something about today's tasteless logo! Turn it into a tribute or change it please.

GregCollins said:
and how I wish Google would do something about today's tasteless logo! Turn it into a tribute or change it please.
They probably set up their logos weeks in advance. Just unfortunate.

A tragic start to the games :biggrin:. Must admit, I find watching both the luge and the skeleton to be the scariest things in the world of sport! A far cry from the home-made toboggan I used to go careering down the hills when I was a kid (especially in winter 1962-3). I used to prefer the 'skeleton' position - head first - to the luge position - feet first. But each to his own, and at competition level each are dangerous! But risk is part of the games.

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

bauldbairn said:
I do think the games should go ahead though. There are very,very dangerous/fast event's in the Winter Olympics inevitably there will be injuries(even fatalities in them).
Oh yes, for sure the games should go ahead, i was referring to the specific event, i'm quite surprised it goes ahead as planned (starting tonight) it just seems to be a fairly quick turnaround!

watched some of the opening ceremony today and saw the minute's silence for the athlete. it was flawless;y silent, very moving.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
darkstar said:
Oh yes, for sure the games should go ahead, i was referring to the specific event, i'm quite surprised it goes ahead as planned (starting tonight) it just seems to be a fairly quick turnaround!

Seems the start point has been moved so speeds are much slower (and safer) now. Door, Stable, Horse comes to mind.

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Seems the start point has been moved so speeds are much slower (and safer) now. Door, Stable, Horse comes to mind.

they didn't know it was fatally dangerous beforehand, though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
trustysteed said:
they didn't know it was fatally dangerous beforehand, though.
Actually, grave concerns had been expressed over the safety of the Whistler Sliding Centre over the past year! :biggrin:

"I think they are pushing it a little too much," Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said after one training run in which she nearly came to grief. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

I know that it is a dangerous sport but it shouldn't be possible to fly up into the air on the fastest bend and hit an unpadded steel pillar.

Top Bottom