Athletics World Championships 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skibird

As an avid sports fan I love any kind of Athletics competition, and it has been great watching people working their way up through the ranks. One of the best for me over recent years has been Dina Asher Smith, who last night broke her own British record to take her first medal on the world stage, who are you watching?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As an avid sports fan I love any kind of Athletics competition, and it has been great watching people working their way up through the ranks. One of the best for me over recent years has been Dina Asher Smith, who last night broke her own British record to take her first medal on the world stage, who are you watching?
I love athletics too and was also impressed with her. Given her age, barring injury, she should have more success. Holly Bradshaw didn’t quite have it for a medal in the pole vault, but I enjoyed watching.

Not sure about the mixed relays though?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve been watching, love athletics. Dina Asher Smith was fantastic, fingers crossed she’ll win a Gold in the 200m. I’m also hoping Adam Gemili manages to get a medal in the men’s 200m, I think he has an outside chance.
I’ve also been watching Laura Muir since her very first competitive races, she should do very well in the 1500m.
Katrina Johnson-Thompson should be good for at least a silver in the Heptathlon.
Fingers crossed also for our runners in the sprint relays.

What is really disappointing in Doha is the empty stadium, very few people watching these fantastic athletes. Dina Asher Smith did a lap of honour last night to thousands of empty seats! I hope it didn’t spoil her moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skibird

Yes, shame for Holly but unfortunately she was beaten by the best people in the world at the moment, so she can take something from that. I really enjoyed the mixed relays, and hope that they actually end up mixing it up a bit by making the order of runners to come out of a bag or something, rather than all teams using the same order, probably won't happen though.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve been watching, love athletics. Dina Asher Smith was fantastic, fingers crossed she’ll win a Gold in the 200m. I’m also hoping Adam Gemili manages to get a medal in the men’s 200m.
What is really disappointing in Doha is the empty stadium, very few people watching these fantastic athletes. Dina Asher Smith did a lap of honour last night to thousands of empty seats! I hope it didn’t spoil her moment.
The lack of fans is a shambles, as is the heat for the long distance runners.
Qatar shouldn’t host major events, the FIFA World Cup will be a shambles at this rate.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

I’ve been watching, love athletics. Dina Asher Smith was fantastic, fingers crossed she’ll win a Gold in the 200m. I’m also hoping Adam Gemili manages to get a medal in the men’s 200m, I think he has an outside chance. Fingers crossed also for our runners in the sprint relays.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

Yes, that was really disappointing, as one of the best parts of winning has to be that lap of honour. I actually thought it was appalling. I also hope Adam Gemili manages to get a medal, and like you think he definitely has a chance. I'll be keeping everything crossed for him, Dina and the runners in the sprint relays.

A great night for British yogourt.

AndyRM

XOXO
The lack of fans is a shambles, as is the heat for the long distance runners.
Qatar shouldn’t host major events, the FIFA World Cup will be a shambles at this rate.

FIFA will hand out enough corporate seats that it probably won't make much of a difference. In the unlikely event that Scotland manage to qualify, I worked out that all in I wouldn't have much change left from £10k, so no thanks.

Watched bits and pieces of the athletics as I usually do when it's on TV and it's good to see the Brits doing well. Personally I just don't enjoy watching on TV, I'm more into the field side of things but the focus often seems to be on track.

Top Bottom