Audax age limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
Under 18's must have parental consent, were you thinking of younger than that?

Alun

Guru
Reading that again I didn't give a very good answer, you wouldn't have asked about a 19 y.o. Sorry don't know, I'm going to the pub.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
AUK doesn't impose an age limit, but doesn't encourage youngsters to over-extend themselves. Organisers are free to impose their own limits, and may be reluctant to allow younger children to ride unless accompanied by their parents or guardians. There's also the law to consider, especially where a long ride includes a sleep stop.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was only wondering this morning, whether anyone had ever done an audax with a childseat and child onboard (or a trailer)?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Arch said:
I was only wondering this morning, whether anyone had ever done an audax with a childseat and child onboard (or a trailer)?
I don't think that I've ever seen it, but I'm sure that someone somewhere will have done it.

You are doing Leap Into The Aire tomorrow and I've seen a father and daughter combination (at least I assume that's what they are) on a tandem on that event a couple of times. (I'm also assuming that they weren't tackling the big sister event, Spring Into The Dales.)

The girl was only about 7 or 8 years old. One time, she was riding no-hands and reading the route sheet out to her dad as I overtook them. It was really sweet - he had a big grin on his face and obviously knew exactly where they were going but she seemed to like being the navigator! :wacko:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You remind me of a triplet with kiddycranks on the rearmost position, a childseat behind that, and a sidecar for the dog. They managed a slow 100km on this machine.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
AFAIK, the minimum is about 1/3rd the age of the oldest guy to overtake you. Less than that, and it just gets demoralising. :smile:

Scanning through the Audax UK handbook (at http://aukweb.net/handbook/handbook.pdf) it looks like parental consent is required for the under 18s, and entry is at the organiser's discretion. It does go on to mention the 'BCF' and '1995 PBP' trophies, awarded to 'the individual gaining the most points in a season who is aged under 18 on the last day of the current season' which suggests there are younger riders out there.

Greenbank

Über Member
There have been a few as young as 8 to complete a 200km Audax on a solo machine (so not as a stoker on a tandem or on a tag-a-long). They would, undoubtedly, have been accompanied by parent/guardian on the ride though.

jimboalee

Greenbank said:
There have been a few as young as 8 to complete a 200km Audax on a solo machine (so not as a stoker on a tandem or on a tag-a-long). They would, undoubtedly, have been accompanied by parent/guardian on the ride though.

Page 39 "Youngest Solo 200 km rider" has Peter Simpson in 1982 at 8 yrs old, Carrie Howlet and John Parker at 9 ys old and a ? against Lucy Hoppit last year.

There is no age reference to Luke Wilson in 1998.

Threelionsbrian

Arch said:

Did a 50 mile heart ride with a burley. My son and his crisps got all soggy when we went through a ford :tongue: forgot about the clearance.

Top Bottom